PDA

View Full Version : waking up difficulties

jgriffin
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Not so much a sleep question but a waking up one.

For the past several weeks E has been a bear when he wakes up in the morning. I don't go into his room until I'm sure that he's awake. He cries, sometimes hysterically, for several minutes. He doesn't want to be held or touched, he doesn't want his blanket or stuffies. He reaches for his milk, but when I try to hand it to him he knocks it away. If he sees it on the floor he crawls over and knocks it over. If I offer him anything, or try to pat him, he waves his arms around wildly. He seems really angry and upset, but I don't know how to comfort him. The whole thing lasts less than 10 minutes, and eventually he'll drink some milk, calm down, then walk around like nothing happened.

Needless to say, it's stressful and upsetting to not be able to calm him down. It's gotten to the point that I usually don't even try to hold him, I just set him down on the floor and let him work it out. It feels wrong, but holding him is just not an option. This doesn't happen every morning, probably 4 or 5 days a week. But I haven't figured out how to tell the difference between a good and bad morning ahead of time.

Here are some thoughts DH and I have had:
-I'm going into his room too early (i.e. he hasn't fully woken up and is just upset about it)
-He's super uncomfortable with a wet or poopy diaper (although changing him doesn't seem to help)
-He is still recovering from sleep paralysis and it's freaking him out

Anyone BTDT or have advice?

TIA!

Jen

kristenk
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't have any experience, but I'd guess he's slow to wake up and doesn't want any company. I'd try to wait a little longer before going into his room in the morning. Good luck and update if you figure it out.

jgriffin
10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking he's more like DH (slow to wake in the mornings) than me (leaps from bed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed). It's tricky to know how long to wait after he starts his morning babbling/crying/moaning stuff, but I think waiting longer is the right idea. And at least I won't feel so rejected in the mornings. :)

You know, it seems like most moms I know complain that their kids wake up at the crack of dawn, if not before. And here I am complaining that my kid wakes up closer to 8 and is probably grumpy because he would rather sleep in longer. Somebody cue the tiniest-violin-in-the-world for me, please! ;)

Jenn98
10-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I have not BTDT, but I agree with the PP. Try giving him more time in the morning. And maybe when you go get him keep the lights off and talk softly. My DH has a hard time getting moving in the am, too, and I'm like you where I can practically leap out of bed in an instant. It sounds silly, but maybe your DS is a bit annoyed with your chiper attitude ;) Try being really calm, quite and slow and see if that helps him adjust. Good luck!!

jgriffin
10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the advice! We've had better luck this week, here's what we changed:

-only keeping the blinds closed, and not the curtain, too (I put a curtain in his room this summer to keep light out, but I think it was just too dark when he woke up in the morning)
-not opening the blinds right away
-not trying to cuddle or hold him first thing, just set him down on the floor and put the milk next to him
-waiting a bit longer before going in to his room

I think the daylight has made a huge difference, since it's still dim, but it's obvious that it's daytime now. He's obviously a late sleeper, though...it's now 8.45am and he's *still* sleeping! Lucky kid!

hillview
11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
DS is 16 months old -- he is doing the same thing in the last month or so. CRANKY PANTS when he gets up. I take him into bed with us (after changing insanely full diaper). He is cranky but the time in bed seems to help him out a little. Good news is it wears off in about 15 mins then he is ok. I spend 15 mins trying to get him to to laugh.

Sorry not a lot of help but you aren't alone!
/hillary