PDA

View Full Version : My 45 minute napper...

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
DD has always been a pretty bad napper. She usually sleeps 45 minutes and that is it. Sometimes it's shorter, but it's hardly ever longer. I have successfully gotten her to sleep 1.5 hours but only if I am holding her and there to pop the paci in if she gets fussy. She sleeps great at night, but during the day I feel like I don't have time to do anything! I start one chore and hardly finish before she is awake again. She is a very happy baby so is this normal? Everything I read says she should sleep longer. Once she is awake though, there is no getting her back down. I have tried the paci and rocking her but she just giggles at me. If I leave her, she talks to herself for awhile, then starts to cry. There is pretty much no way she will fall back asleep if she gets to this point. Any suggestions or should I just get used to having a 45 minute napper? BTW, DD is 5 months old.

jhrabosk
10-24-2006, 01:18 PM
My DD has sometimes been a 45 minute napper, too. Especially at that age. To be honest, she didn't start taking longer naps (not counting the ones she took in her swing when she was way younger) until the past few months. And even now they've been erratic. Sometimes it's 40 minutes, sometimes we get close to 2 hours.

We found that when we could pinpoint the moment that DD was starting to rouse, we could sometimes sneak in and slip her paci back in. Other than that, I keep the room dark, try to keep a regular nap schedule, and make sure she's got a full tummy and a clean diaper before her nap.

For all the sleep advice that's out there, there's not much info for short nappers or early risers. Chances are, you won't be stuck with this forever.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is!

kimbe
10-24-2006, 09:12 PM
DD was never a napper. She's now 16 months and if she naps for 1.5 hours once a day I consider myself lucky.

She never took a regular nap and like your DD only slept on me.

I think that some kiddos are just like that. On the bright side, we never have to make plans around naps!

I know that it is frustrating. I'd like to say that it gets better but it hasn't yet for me. I figure that she will sleep the amount that she needs to sleep. Just enjoy holding her while she is sleeping. I am so glad that I got to/still do that!

Hang in there!

KrisM
10-26-2006, 08:35 AM
DS was a 45 minute napper until about 9 months. We had the same thing - if I timed it just right, I could get him back to sleep, but not usually. At 9 months, he just started sleeping about 1.25 hours in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon and dropped the other naps (he took about 4, since they were so short).

We didn't do anything to change his behavior. It just happened.

overcome
10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
My DD is a 45 min napper too...I feel your frustration about not getting anything done. Frankly some days it drives me nuts.

Just hang in there and hope it evolves. And remember, you are not alone!

jgriffin
10-30-2006, 09:51 AM
E has never been a good napper. At daycare we consider anything over an hour to be good; at home we're lucky if he sleeps for 30 minutes (although every few weeks he gets a good 2+ hours in, much to our surprise.) We've just accepted it, and usually don't try to force longer naps.

If she's sleeping well at night, and seems active and happy during the day, she's probably getting enough sleep. Which I know is no consolation to you for getting anything done. :) If she's taking multiple naps a day, things might get better when she consolidates her naps down to one or 2.