PDA

View Full Version : waking up at 3:30am wide awake

almostmom
10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
My daughter (almost 11 months) has been a good sleeper for many months now (7pm to 7am), but a week ago she started waking up at 3:30am, wide awake and ready to play. I rock her, give her a bottle, bounce with her, but her eyes stay wide open and she wants to catch my glance and give a big smile. She bites her lovey until it's soaking wet, and ultimately it takes an hour to get her back to sleep, with a combo of me and my husband, but then she sleeps until about 7 or 8am. She might be teething (she has 4 teeth on top, 2 on bottom), but it doesn't look like it. The biting does rile her up, and when I get rid of her lovey, that sometimes works.

Any thoughts? Or should I just assume (hope hope) that this disappears? She is definitely going through some cognitive changes, signing, understanding, joking with us, etc. I let her cry a little, but I hate the thought of her waking up her brother and then having 2 kids to deal with in the middle of the night!

Thanks!!!

clc053103
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I actually discussed this with my doctor- his feeling is that if it's an every night thing, it has become a habit. You need to let her cry and soothe herself to break the habit.

Yes, sounds easier said than done!

WE had the same situation and after 1 night, problem was solved!

Can you play music or something in DS's room so he is not disturbed by it? Just an idea.

Best of luck for a restful night!

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I'd personally make sure she was fed, diaper was OK (I probably wouldn't change it if it were only wet b/c that may wake her up more) and nothing was wrong. then put her back to bed.

I noticed you said you bounced with her....do you think this may wake her up more?

I always strived to keep night time for sleeping. Lights off or only a nightlight if needed, no talking.

I'd be lying if I said we had perfect sleep but he did never wake up wide awake at night. :) So, maybe it helped a little. I would really try putting her back in her crib awake. If she is happy then maybe she will amuse herself with a music box, one of those FP aquariums, a soft book or something else safe.

2 kids does make it pretty hard. Have you considered a white noise machine (or running a fan, etc...) do make sure he stays asleep?

Beth

almostmom
10-31-2006, 04:13 PM
These are good ideas. I do want to get the humidifier set up in her room, which makes some nice soothing noise. There's no waking her up more - her eyes are OPEN, and bouncing on an exercise ball often helps her get to sleep.
I'm not against crying it out - we've done it with both kids with great results, but it is hard when they are smiling and awake! She is happy until she is put in her crib, and then she cries. I guess I'll start timing it, like CIO, and see if that makes it easier. He didn't wake up when she cried a lot last night, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks so much for posting - it's nice to feel some support!

clc053103
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Beth did mention something that reminded me- DS has a fisher price entertainer in his crib- his isnt the aquarium, it's the one with birds that shine on the ceiling. Sometimes, when he wakes in the middle of the night, I hear the music on the monitor- HE turns it on and entertains himself and falls back asleep! Toys for the crib may give her something to do.

I check once and only once- feel for wetness, smell for poop, and to get a good look to make sure he isn't in pain. No lights, no talking. And if he's fine I put him back down and leave.

Feel free to post and let us know how you are making out!

almostmom
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks all!

Well, last night she slept through, so that was good! I put a much dimmer night light in her room so if she did wake up, she didn't think it might be day time. Her nose is runny, so who knows about tonight. I will keep you posted!