PDA

View Full Version : 10 month old ready for just 1 nap?

DrSally
11-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi,

At last we got DS sleeping through the night from about 7:40p-6:30/6:50am. He used to get up 12a and 5a to nurse, and then up around 6/6:30a for the day. He would take an early morning nap around 8:30 and then again around 1/1:30p. I tried moving the morning nap back to 9/9:30a, but am having a really hard time getting him down--screaming, not sleeping, etc. Today he finally went down at 11am for his first nap. I don't want to keep fighting him if his nap needs have changed now that he's getting better sleep at night (uninterrupted). If I do an 11am morning nap, the next nap would prob be 3p, and then we'd never get out during the day (we usually go somewhere after his afternoon nap) with how dark it's getting.

I guess my question is, do you think I should still be going for 2 naps or is it time to consolidate to 1 nap, perhaps at 11a or noon? He gets about 11 hours at night, so I assume he would need about 3 during the day at this age. I doubt he would get that in 1 nap. Usually it's 2, 1.5 hour naps on a good day. At what age did your child go to 1 nap and what did you find was the best time of day to do this? TIA

megs4413
11-17-2006, 02:52 PM
i think my baby book says 9 mos is normal for being able to drop a nap (at the young end) so if he's transitioning himself it sounds like he's right on target. DD switched herself to one nap about that time and started sleeping 3 hours in one nap instead of 1-1.5hrs split up into two naps...HTH!

DrSally
11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. What did you find was the best time. If he does 11-2, he misses lunch, but 1-3 is too long of a gap in the morning, he'd get too tired.

kristenk
11-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd go ahead and try to switch to one nap and put him down a little earlier in the evening to make up for any lost time.

I'd probably play with times to see what worked for him. It might take a while to get his nap to its final starting time. So, if he couldn't make it past 11:30am, do that for a while, play with bedtime and see if it makes sense to move it later.

For a long time, I'd start getting DD ready for her nap at 12:45 and that seemed to work pretty well.

DrSally
11-18-2006, 09:12 PM
I think you're right, he just has not been able to sleep in the morning for the last 3 days. That ends up screwing up the afternoon nap too. Today he had two 1/2 hour naps after much screaming and protesting. It's funny just when we get the nighttime down right, the naps get all messed up. I think I will give lunch around 11:30 for now and nap right after. I think you're right too, about having to play around with times for a little while to get it right. It seems like it will be very convenient for getting out of the house if this ends up working.