PDA

View Full Version : ANY TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THE BABY GO TO BED EARLIER??

kusumat
11-20-2006, 12:55 PM
My baby is 6 months old and do not go to bed until 10:30pm. She has slept through the night(8-10 hours) since 4 months old. I have been trying to put her to bed at the earlier time but failed. She normally has two naps during the day one in the morning(8-10) and one in the afternoon(1-3). We daily give her a bath at 6pm after her solid food meal. She falls asleep around 7pm and wakes up again around 7:30-8pm. Any suggestions? Thank you.

danagee
11-21-2006, 08:12 PM
What does she do when she wakes up? Can u just leave her alone and allow her to fall back asleep?
Are you using any methods? We use this book and it's been great.

http://tinyurl.com/uw67t

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

Java
11-22-2006, 12:04 AM
DD is 6.5m and we went through a period where she'd wake up crying every 30-45 minutes until she conked out for good at 10:30-11pm. Her bedtime then was 8:00-8:30pm. We then moved her bedtime to 7:00-7:30pm and it got a little better -- meaning she started waking up every 45-60 minutes and then conked out at 11:00pm.

There wasn't anything we could do except nurse and rock her back to sleep. For some reason the past few nights she's gone down and stayed down. I don't know what changed -- maybe developmental, she's starting to crawl now -- but I hope she continues with this trend.

So I have no suggestions but wish you luck!

Actually, I just noticed that there's a big chunk of time from the last nap to bedtime. My DD can't go that long in between - she gets overtired and will for sure wake up constantly. If she woke up at 3pm, then I'd give her a cat nap at 5:00 and bedtime would be at 7:30pm. DD's window is 2 to 2.5 hours of waking time. Maybe try that and see if your DD gets better.

Momof3Labs
11-22-2006, 08:13 AM
ITA, plus the solids could be giving her tummy troubles. Try giving her solids for breakfast and skipping the dinner solids for a little while. Or stop solids for a couple of weeks and see if it gets better.

At that age, my DS1 was going to bed at 5:30-6pm.

ETA: When she wakes up at 7:30pm, keep the house quiet and dark, don't talk to her, etc. No lights either! She'll get the idea more quickly that it is time to sleep, not to wake up.

KrisM
12-01-2006, 04:45 AM
DD is about 6 months, too. She can not go from 3pm to 7pm without another nap. Usually, she'll do a third nap at about 4:30 or 5pm. Then, she'll go to bed about 7 for the night. But, if for some reason she doesn't get that last nap, she'll be ready for bed about 6:30 and often she'll wake up at 9 or so for 1-2 hours. It's an overtired thing, I think.

Try shortening up the awake times.

connors_mommy
12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
My DS is almost 4 mos...i don't have a problem getting him to bed by 7pm, he never was one to stay up late. At first he would wake up 1-2 hrs after I put him down. He isn't the best napper during the day so sometimes he's overtired so I have to give him a nap around 4 or 5, he's been waking up again at night so i'm wondering if it's an overtired thing. I would just try a good routine and stick to it. I do the same thing everynight and at the same time. Talk while getting udressed, he layes in crib while I get bath and bottle ready, bathe time, jammies, bottle, bed...same thing everynight, I think he gets used to it and knows what's coming next. He rarely fusses at all and I always put him in his crib awake, hoping it will help him learn to put himself to sleep without my help. Good Luck.