PDA

View Full Version : Waking up Again at Night

connors_mommy
12-01-2006, 12:06 PM
My DS is almost 4 mos old. He has slept through the night from 7pm-5am or 6am a few nights in a row, now the night before last, he woke at 2:45am and last night 2am and decided 5:20am what a good time to be up. He would not go back to sleep. I was getting ready for work so I just left him there, but by 6:15 I have to get him ready for daycare. Anyone know why he might be waking again? He's not the best napper, is he overtired maybe and just not sleeping well? I try to give him a nap around 4 or 5 to give him a little rest, but sometimes he's still so tired by 6pm. I've tried to keep him up later, but it only backfires on me, then he's really overtired and hard to settle at all.

megs4413
12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
there are plenty of reasons why a babe that young would have this problem....here's a few:

teething can create wakefulness
illness...if something's coming on it might explain it
hunger...he may be having a growth spurt and be needing some extra cals.
overtiredness...if he's not napping this could certainly create a problem

he's young enought that he should be getting more sleep than he gets awake time between his night sleep and naps. what is his nap schedule at daycare? if he's tired at 6pm, why not start laying him down for the night then? most peopel think that will mean he's up earlier in the morning, but generally it does not. it's never a good idea to keep a "tired" baby up to try and get him to sleep later into the morning (not that this is what you're doing).

i hope you guys get his needs figured out soon and you all start getting some good rest!!!! this sleep stuff is serious business!

DrSally
12-08-2006, 10:38 AM
DS slept through the night once or twice at 5 months and then that was it, he was up 1-2 times until over 10 months. I think things change a lot in that regard. They may have been able to do it and then they need the feeding at night b/c they're growing and changing.

ETA: I agree with pp that keeping them up does not work for getting them to sleep more. Overtired = hard to get to sleep and more waking

orangefur
12-09-2006, 02:33 PM
My DS did something similar. He was sleeping all night before I went back to work, and then he started waking up a few times a week, then every other night, then every night. He's 6.5 months old now and still wakes up 1-2 times a night. He also goes to bed very early, around 6:30, but is not a great napper at home.

I read that it is normal for babies to wake up from hunger once around 4-6 hours after going to bed and again between 4 and 5am up until around 9 months old. This is exactly what my DS is doing so I'm just hoping that he grows out of it in the next couple months!