PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with night terrors?

Pegessen
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I am not sure if this is what DS is experiencing but from what I have read it sure sounds like it. On Thursday night and again Saturday night DS woke up screaming uncontrollably, his eyes were open but he was "just not there". He was kicking and throwing his arms around and was breathing really hard. I was so afraid that he was going to hurt himself! He didn't even seem to know who I was or know who DH was. He was even hitting me in the face : (

Both instances lasted about 5-15 minutes and finally it was like he snapped and he came to. He got his blankie and said night night and started to head down the hall to his room (we had brought him out into the living room). Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? Does it sound like night terrors? I have been working a lot of hours and he is having a very hard time adjusting to me not being home as much (even though his dad is there with him), I am beginning to wonder if he is stressed because I am not home as much and that is why this is happening. Is this something that I should take him to the doctors about (he was just there Friday morning for a cold and she said "oh he just had a nightmare")?

TIA for any input anyone can give me!

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2007, 04:52 PM
It sounds like a night terror. Check out this list:

"NIGHT TERRORS
"I think my child is having night terrors."

It's the middle of the night and you are awakened by your child screaming from his bedroom. You rush in to see what's wrong and you find him sitting up in bed with a blank stare but very agitated. You try to wake him, asking him what is wrong but he doesn't respond, he just keeps screaming. You are scared and don't know what to do. After a few minutes, your child goes back to sleep and in the morning he doesn't remember the episode.

Characteristics of night terrors:
Your child seems frightened, but cannot be awakened or consoled.
Your child may sit up in bed, or walk around the room, screaming or talking senselessly.
Your child doesn't acknowledge you, his eyes may be open but he seems to stare right through you.
Objects or persons in the room might be mistaken for dangers.
Episodes usually last between 10 and 30 minutes.
Usually occur in children 1 to 8 years old.
Your child cannot remember the episode in the morning.
Usually happens within 2 hours of falling asleep.
Night terrors are harmless and each episode will end on its own. "

If those match up the link has advice that may help.
http://askdrsears.com/html/7/T071300.asp

That sounds so scary! I hope it doesn't happen again!

Beth

Pegessen
01-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Thank you so much Beth!

This describes the instances exactly!
He seems to just stare right through us during the episodes.
Yes, it was very scarey both times that it has happened and
hopefully it will not happen again. Atleast if it does I know
more of what to expect and how to deal with it.

Thanks again!

DrSally
01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Based on what I've read, it does sound like night terrors, although I have no BTDT experience. I've heard you should make sure they don't hurt themselves, but try not to interfere with or talk to the child, as it may scare them. Also, you may be right to look for sources of anxiety in waking hours. I hope other moms have more advice for you.