PDA

View Full Version : Sleep probs please help!

aidansmommy1
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
My DS who is 9 months old is having a lot of problems sleeping...not only does he not like to sleep because he thinks that he is going to miss something, but he wakes up in the night for a bottle (which he had stopped from 4-8 months), and he also will not sleep anywhere but at home in his crib at night.

Aidan started sleeping through the night at 4 months, at about 8 months he started waking up and wanting a bottle about 2:30am. It is getting to me now, even though I stay home with him I am missing out on sleep becuase this causes me to wake up! How can I get him to stop waking for a bottle!!! I tried to just give him water, he will drink it and then go back to sleep!!! This didnt work for him!

Then last weekend, my in-laws wanted to keep him overnight (which they had numerous times in the past), they wanted to gibe hubby and I a chance to go out and enjoy and nice quiet evening at home together. They said that he played fine and at 7:30 when it was time for bed, they took him to the room where his crib is and he FREAKEd out. He cried for about 2 hours, finally fell asleep and then woke up 40 minutes later crying out for "mama". They said that he cried then for an hour and a half! He has never done this at home. I am the only one that puts him to bed, so I know that he is used to me putting him to bed. At home he does down at 7:30pm wide awake and is asleep 15 minutes later. I don't want him not sleeping at night and in a different bed cause us not to have nights away from him, but it is. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks a lot!!!

gina
02-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Welcome to parenthood, where nothing is ever consistent. LOL

Could he be teething? My DD is very clingy/whiny when she is teething and at night she will whimper or cry. My first guess would be something is bothering him/waking him such as teething. They go through a lot of phases.

My DD is almost a year now and still wakes up at night. Sometimes she goes right back to sleep, sometimes she is up for an hour before she goes back to sleep. If I put her to bed early she always wakes up at 4 or 5 in the mornings. I can usually get her back to sleep after an hour or so.

How long did you try the water? I think you have to do it a few times before they realize that they don't want to wake up for water.

Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia

maestramommy
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Agree with pp. If he was previously a good sleeper, it could be teething. Also, once we decided not to feed DD anymore for nightwakings we had to do the water thing for a few nights. I think our total process took less than 2 weeks (but we were starting with 2-3 wakings a night), and we thought that was pretty short.