PDA

View Full Version : how long for a no-sleep nap?

jgriffin
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Napping is a problem around here! E takes great naps at daycare, but when he's home it's awful.

Today he's been up in his crib for over an hour now, and he hasn't slept at all. He hasn't cried, though, more just babbled and complained. He does get quiet every once in awhile, but just when I think that maybe he's gone to sleep, he starts talking again. :( I'm worried that at some point he'll be hungry or have a wet diaper again, and he won't have taken a nap at all.

So, how long do you let your child stay in his crib at nap time without him actually sleeping?

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Probably 1-2 hours (maybe more) if he wasn't continuously fussing. Happily playing alone was encouraged by me. How long was he napping before? He made it that long without eating or needing a new diaper, right? I wouldn't worry about those issues.

My ds would fall asleep after 1-2 hours sometimes so you never know.

Beth

jgriffin
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
It's been 2 hours now, and still no sleeping! I guess I'll just let him play in his crib until he either falls asleep or starts crying. I'm not worried about him needing food or a new diaper now, I'm worried that he won't fall asleep before he has those needs, and I know once I walk in his room naptime will be over, whether I like it or not.

And if he doesn't take a nap, we'll have an early bedtime I suppose....

mls115
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I give DS 1 hr (+/-) to relax in his crib. I figure at least he's resting with limited stimulation. If he misses a nap one day, he always gets it the next day. Missed naps = early bedtime but that's OK. I put him down for a nap with clean pants and a full tummy and I have found, if he's not going to nap - he's NOT going to nap. No matter what I do or how long I wait. Good luck. Try to relax while he's not napping - you'll need the energy for a potentially crabby night!!

jgriffin
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
E started crying not long after I made my last post, so he was in his crib for a bit over 2 hours. Longer than I would have anticipated, but that's because he usually cries and cries if we leave him in his crib at naptime, and this time he didn't. Maybe because it was just me at home, not me and DH.

And yes, it was an early bedtime that night, and a long nap at daycare the next day. :)

I think you're right about if he's not going to nap, he's not going to nap. But quiet time is good, too, I decided, for both of us!