PDA

View Full Version : cold turkey off the swaddle

jniter
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
*blink* *blink*
Man, I am so tired, I can barely keep my eyes open. Thank goodness I only work PT.

We live in N. California and it's already in the high 70s outside. Even though our house is not overly sunny, it's 72 inside. Even with just a onesie, poor DS was sweating bullets in his swaddle and kept kicking out. We tried the miracle blanket and he detested it. Screamed and screamed. And by some miracle, he worked his way out of it! So we decided...that's it. He's gotta learn to sleep without the swaddle. I know we could swaddle him with just the diaper, but he'd be cold after kicking himself out.

Sigh...will he go back to sleeping for 5-6 hours?? He wakes up every 2 hours, the poor guy. He's cranky and tired. :-(

I wish we could've swaddled him longer...but it just wasn't working anymore. Our little Houdini was getting out of everything! EVERYTHING! We thought it was a sign that he was ready to sleep without it. Apparently not.

etaylor75
03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
We went straight from the miracle blanket to a sleepsack - DS is 18 months and still in the sleepsack...he loves it!

Babies R Us has light cotton sleepsacks - your little guy might be more comfortable in just a diaper and one of those. Hopefully he won't be able to figure out a zipper :)

Good luck!
Erin

mommyme
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
We also used a sleepsack after we gave up on the swaddle. We are in the Northeast and it is still chilly here, so we use the flannel one from Carter's with the sleeves. But we also have a sleeveless cotton one and a sleeveless flannel one from Halo. When it is warm, we use the sleevless cotton one. I've also heard that some people swaddle with the arms out to help make the transition. Hope you have some success!

jniter
04-15-2007, 01:06 PM
It took about 5 days, but he did figure out how to sleep without the swaddle. The ridiculous thing is, we were forced to do it because it got so warm here! apparently that was a mini heat wave because it is now cool.

Oh, well. At least he like snuggling with his sleepsack now. :P

BTW- swaddling with the arms out did NOT work for us. He just got out of the swaddle and woke himself up with all the wiggling. We tried all sorts of things, and he just wiggled and wiggled. We watched through a crack in the door once and it was a little crazy how much he moved!!