PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime routine question

jniter
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
We've been giving DS a bath before bed since he was 4 weeks old. He LOVES bath time. Recently he started to kick the water. He laughs, smiles and has a GOOD OL' TIME. I mean, hyper, giggly good time.

Only problem is it doesn't relax him before bed, it gets him worked up.

Anyone else have this problem? He used to lay in the bath all chill and yawn. It was the perfect way to relax him.

Today we let him roll around a bit on the ground before we put him down. it seems to help him blow some energy some and he went down easier. Still had little bit of a major fuss, but it only lasted a few minutes tonight.

??

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
We did baths (when we did them- only 2-3 times a week) in the AM so it could be a fun/ play time rather than a relaxation thing. A snuggle and nursing was what we did for our simple bedtime routine. Maybe you could take a class or read a book on infant massage and do that rather than a bath at night.

Beth

jniter
04-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Hm... we may have to wait until the school year is over the try switching the bath to day time, but it may be worth a shot. He has a pretty predictable day though. I've noticed that if I don't take him on his daily jaunt, he gets really cranky...like he expected it and is mad that we didn't go out. Anyway, for now our work schedules won't allow us to do the bath in the morning, unless I want to wake up at 5am. :o

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Remember that they don't need baths every day. Just 2-3Xs a week. their natural oils are good for them. :)

I'd try and think of a routine that is easy to incorporate even if the day gets really busy (like you are invited to something that doesn't end till almost bedtime) so that he can roll with it. Of course, that is just my preference- I like minimal routine and lots of chances to be flexible. I know others like routine a lot more than I do. :)

GL! I hope he starts relaxing again for you.

Beth

jniter
04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
oh, i know he doesn't need the bath everyday. At the beginning, we saw how calm and relaxed he got, so we started doing them every day to help him get sleepy. That tactic just doesn't work anymore!!

Now he likes his baths so much, it's like a daily playtime for him. I hate to take it away. :(