PDA

View Full Version : lack of regular night sleeping pattern

jniter
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
If it's not one thing, it is another.

We have been tracking DS's sleeping patterns for a while now. For a good month, he would sleep from 7:30-1 or 2am, then wake again around 5am, and then wake up for the morning between 7:30-8am. Lately, it has been a mess. It started when he was weaned off the swaddle and it has been irratic since. It's been over a month, so we feel like he should be fully adjusted to no swaddle.

Some nights, DS wakes up at 11pm, then 4am. Sometimes it is 1-2am, then 4am again. Recently, he went all the way until 4am with one block of sleep. Since he is capable of sleeping from 7:30pm-4am, we are totally confused as to why he will wake up earlier sometimes. I have been trying to cluster feed him before we put him down, but he just doesn't want to eat. He sucks a little half-heartedly, then he turns and smiles at me and then plays with my nipple for a while until I turn him upright. The night he slept until 4am, he had one extra bottle feed than he normally does during the day. We are guessing that if we can somehow get him to eat more during the day, he will naturally sleep more at night. He only seems to wake up if he's hungry, not out of habit. If it were habit, we think he would wake up at more consistent and predictable times. Do you agree?

The main issue isn't that he is waking up, but it is the inconsistency that is wearing us out. Some nights I wake up at 1-2am on my own and I sit there waiting for him to wake up, then I can't fall asleep. Just when I do, he wakes up at 4am!

Any tips on how to make Owen eat more during the day? We tried feeding 2 oz by bottle between feedings, but he doesn't want to eat. The cluster feeding isn't working so well. Should I just keep at it? We've been slowly cutting back on his bottle if he does wake up at 11-11:30pm, and he is now taking more for his "breakfast" bottle with daddy. Is that the only way to get him to return to sleeping a 6-7 hour stretch? Keep weaning that 11pm stretch? We don't want to do the "console until he's asleep" route, because again...he only seems to wake up when he's honestly hungry. He will continue sleeping if he's satisfied. How can I get him to chug more during the day??

I don't think dreamfeeding would work for me because I pump before bed. There would be nothing for him to dreamfeed from!