PDA

View Full Version : 18 mo waking up after about 2-3 hrs

mls115
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
DS has always been a great sleeper and just recently (last 3 nights) he has been waking up between 9pm and 10pm. He's crying - almost hysterical - hard to calm. He's not warm or cold, doesn't want his pacifier, doesn't want Tylenol, didn't even want me or Daddy the first night (last 2 nights he's let me rock him).
His nose is a little runny. No other signs of sickness during the day just miserable at night. Could be molars, I suppose (he doesn't have any yet and is typically "late" in getting teeth).
I even pre-treated him with Tylenol tonight to see if I could hold off the pain (if it's tooth pain). Didn't work. I don't want to "create a monster" by rocking him every night. HELP!!

jgriffin
07-24-2007, 01:01 PM
pak

How long is he crying for before you go into his room? E wakes up and cries nearly every night a few hours after he goes to bed, but usually it only lasts a minute or two, then he falls back asleep. If he is still crying after more than about 5 minutes we go in and hold him for a bit. Sometimes it means he is teething or getting sick, other times we've never figured it out. I know what you mean about creating a monster, I've worried about that too, but so far it hasn't happened. If it persists and you can't identify a source (eg teething), try waiting an extra minute before going to check on him, maybe he'll be able to soothe himself back to sleep.

GL!

mls115
07-27-2007, 08:34 AM
After 3 nights, this has seemed to resolve itself. I do try to let him cry but some of his crys are very distinct and I know they won't resolve on his own. Maybe it is his molars.? He is still kind of out of sorts (runny nose and a little crabby at times) but at least back to sleeping good.