PDA

View Full Version : CIO working at night but not for naps..... (I'm new here)

lincolnparkafterdark
09-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi, I have a 4mo old DS and 2 older sons. With the peds blessing we started CIO a week ago because bedtime was getting harder and harder. The first night was hard but he cried for 18min before calming down and then only 5-10min more of on/off snively whining and then he slept. Night wakings were pretty easy- less than 10min of not too hard crying and he'd go right back to sleep.

Naptimes seem to be a different story. First- he has a 30 minute clock. For the last month when I do get him down for nap he often (like 80% of the time) wakes up after 30 min. Clearly not long enough since he gets tired again quickly. Sometimes I get lucky with an hour to 1.5 hours. For afternoon naps I work out in the basement during his nap and if he wakes early I let him cry because I need to finish my workout (it's only 30 min plus 10 min to shower). He has never gone back to sleep even after crying 30 min. By then I go get him.

I have on occasion got him to go back to sleep if I go to him right when he wakes up and soothe him to sleep again.

What approach should I be using here? Also I want to mention that as an infant he napped for 2 plus hours easily for at least the first 2.5 months of his life. I follow Weisbluth and bedtime falls close to 7pm each day with a little flexibility for when he last napped since we are not on a strict nap schedule yet (we follow the no more than 2 hours of awake time between naps still). My point is I really believe he needs to be napping longer.

At night I give his last feed (we are EBF) at 9:30p. He will usually wake once or twice and cio a little and then I will generally feed him when he wakes around 4am and then he'll sleep until 7-8am again Soon I think I will let him cio for the 4am feed too, as doc says he doesn't need night feeds anymore with his growth rates being as good as they are.

any input on the napping issues?
thanks!Jen

maestramommy
09-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Really don't have any advice because we're going through the same thing with naps! Her morning nap is always really short, usually less than 45 minutes. She was taking long afternoon naps, BUT she frequently wakes up after an hour. If I go to her right away and nurse/rock her, she goes right back to sleep for another hour, rinse and repeat this could go on for a total of 3.5 hours of nap total. However, yesterday she just didn't want to stay down, woke up every 15 minutes! Finally I gave up and let her stay up for an hour, then she went down for another hour. And that was it. We aren't doing CIO yet, as she's still too young. Actually I'm trying to hold off on that as long as possible because she's usually such a happy baby, hardly every cries. But I'll see how I feel when she's 6 months :P.

My older daughter OTOH, never took a nap longer than 45 minutes until after she started rolling over onto her tummy. At that point her naps lengthened to the 90 minute or 2 hour mark. That was around 4-5 months. My baby doesn't show any signs of rolling over soon, sigh.