PDA

View Full Version : Mimicry

kfcboston
09-24-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm starting to think maybe my 6.5 month old DS is trying to mimic us? We try to encourage it by making different paces and sounds at him over and over. Sometimes I think he actually IS sticking his tongue back out at me.......I guess I'm wondering when does a baby really noticeably start to mimic his parents?

Karenn
09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
I've heard from one child development expert that it actually begins at birth! This particular scientist contents that if you stick your tongue out at a newborn, he/she will respond in kind within a minute or two. So far in my limited experimentation, it seems to work! Knowing this particular expert as I do, I suspect he also gave brain research to back up that claim when he offered it- I just don't remember it. :)

MartiesMom2B
09-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Katie:

He probably is sticking his tongue out at you. DH and Martie were going back at forth making raspberries at each other and then DH threw his arm up in the air like and elephant's trunk while he was raspberring her so he sounded and looked like an elephant. After doing it for a while Martie was putting her arm in the air elephant style too. It was too cute. Of course now when we try to get her to do it in front of other people she refuses. :)

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lobsangdibbler
10-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Yes. It is mimicry. Babies start social interaction incredibly early. There is good evidence that babies start orienting to human faces 9 MINUTES after they are born. Two books worth checking out:

The Scientist in the Crib by Alison Gopnik (a bit more technical)

What's Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life (I can't remember the author; but less technical)

Both books are pretty scientifically up to date with little or no mystic mumbo jumbo. Just what your babies brain is really up to...

kfcboston
10-17-2003, 08:22 AM
A friend gave us The Scientist in the Crib after the birth of DS, but haven't read it yet.