PDA

View Full Version : My 3 mo. old won't "do" tummy time

kjack145
02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Our darling little 3 mo. old has decided tummy time isn't for her. Each time we put her on her tummy and try to entice her to lift her head, she just whimpers and does nothing, but lay her head down to the side. She used to at least make the attempts, but lately nothing.

She lifts herself up when shes on my shoulder (as in burping position), but that's it.

Is she falling behind already or am I rushing her?

Marissa
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
No and no. Our ped said that it's normal for babies to hate tummy time. Our 6 mo. old son hates it; cries, whines, carries on all kinds of ways when he's on his stomach now, but used to be fine with it. The doctor's suggestion was just to keep trying. A little frustration is probably good for her, as long as it doesn't get into a full scale fit.

gillenwaterfarm
03-25-2004, 07:02 PM
My 3 month old won't either. She HATES it. But we suffer through the tantrum, and keep working towards the recommended 15 minutes. So far, we are up to five straight minutes. And this is after a month of trying. I'd just keep trying.

cha552
06-04-2004, 05:42 PM
My son would only tolerate tummy time in the P.M. I know it's hard not to worry, but really don't. My son is now 14 months old toddling around. He was late or average when it came to rolling over and crawling. They'll do it on their own schedule.

Lilian

Bean606
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
My DS would scream hysterically when we put him on his tummy until he was about 4 1/2 months old. Then, he slowly got used to it, and then, he ONLY wanted to be on his tummy and even sleeps that way now! So, I wouldn't worry too much, but you might want to ask your pediatrician at the next appointment if he/she has any suggestions.

jniter
03-24-2007, 07:23 AM
No.

Our DS hated tummy time until one day he learned how to roll onto his tummy. All of the sudden, he figured out the mini pushup and now he loves tummy time.

He did the same thing your baby does until that point. He'd lay there looking to the side and go "eh eh eh".

I think once he got strong enough to push himself up so he could see, he was happier. I think it frustrated him that he couldn't see what was going on.

I've seen moms do tummy time on their laps. Turn the baby onto their tummy and facing the side (baby is not facing you or away from you, but perpendicular), straddle the baby's legs between their own legs, and support the chest with their hands. As long as the baby is strengthening their neck and shoulder muscles, I don't think their is a "right way" to do tummy time. Their babies liked that much more because their chest was held up a little and they could see what was going on.

racerl1
03-25-2007, 11:09 AM
DS hated tummy time, too. We could only do it for short periods of time, and only when he was wide awake. We finally bought the Boppy Tummy Time pillow, which helped prop him up a little bit. That seemed to make tummy time for tolerable for him. He would stay down longer before he started screaming.

Momof3Labs
03-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Try laying on the floor on your back, and laying baby tummy-down on your chest. She'll lift her head to look at your face, and may tolerate tummy time a little better.