PDA

View Full Version : DS 14.5 months old likes to climb up on things (e.g. glass table!)

hillview
10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi all,
DS is trying to climb up on everything -- today it was the glass coffee table, then his ride on car -- STANDING ON TOP OF IT. He laughs when I say "NO" and I do immediately take him off of it and redirect him. Is this a phase? He climbs on the chairs, couch, tables, everything!
HELP
/hillary

dms619
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
My DD is 15 months and does the same things!

Any suggestions?

Debbie
Mommy to future mountain climber, Katie

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a phase. :) My ds liked to climb up onto the dining room table to get at the Cheerios. So, I worked hard to childproof; chairs were always pushed away from the table, Cheerios were removed from table... I think it is just much easier to remove troublesome things temporarily if you can. It is much nicer than having to say "no" all the time. So, if the glass table can be moved to a dif't location just for a few weeks/ months that is what I would do.

Beth

tarabenet
10-01-2006, 02:30 PM
It's a phase. My parents swear that Aubrey will grow out of it by the time she goes to college, same as I did! The girl was climbing stuff (like the big slide at the park) before she was even walking without us holding her hands. We finally decided the best thing to do was let her climb but be there, ready to catch her. At least she'll develop the muscles, balance, coordination, etc. to be safe about it eventually.

Good luck.

scoop22
10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
ds is the same age.. i hope this is a stage. i look at him at he shakes his head no.. i wish he knew not to do it. dh says this is normal.. he takes after him.. i pray everyday he doesn't hurt himself. we will see as time flies.

Raidra
10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Lachlann is almost 14 months and is the same way, has been for the last two months or so. He climbs onto the couches and up onto the arms, onto the dining room table, etc. If he's anything like Colwyn was, it won't pass but he'll get safer and smarter about it.

Personally, I'd rather have a good climber than a bad climber. :) There isn't too much at playgrounds these days that Colwyn can't climb, unless he's too short for it. And even then..

But even though I'm always right there, I don't actually worry about him falling. He has excellent balance and coordination, and lots of experience. He very rarely falls while he's climbing. And, actually, Lachlann rarely falls while he climbs, either.

I'd much prefer to teach them how to climb safely rather than constantly redirect them.

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2006, 09:07 PM
On those lines I wanted to say that we loved our toddler gymnastics' class. We all learned good safety techniques and it gave him a great outlet to climb/ explore.

Beth

Tondi G
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Aidan is the same way! He is quite steady too! I just try to redirect him and tell him it's not safe, that he'll get an owie if he falls. HE smiles! It is a stage.... my first was the same way and even after taking a spill off the dining room table (just as I came out of the bathroom to see it all happen) he continued. It is scary though I know!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

traciann
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM
my DD is 17 months and loves to climb. DH showed her how to climb up on her kangaroo climber and she has been doing it ever since. I am ok with her climbing on our chair/ottoman and couches as long as she stays seated once she is there. She may not climb on our coffee table or stand on any of the furniture. We really worked with her on the standing and that has stopped.

JBaxter
10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
If its a phase its a long one here. Nathan started climbing early and still climbs on EVERYTHING. If he cant reach it he stacks things to get higher or uses a chair. We put our coffee table away for 18 months ( just came back out).
Nathan started climbing stairs at about 8 months and hasnt stopped climbed out of the crib before 2 used the kitchen chairs to climb up to get cheddar bunnies etc...
I just childproofed higher and taugh him how to climb back down. My oldest wasnt a climber but DS2 & 3 both are. I say are because DS2 being almost 12 still feels it necessary to climb trees, sides of our deck, top if the swing set and every rock wall we come to. I call them my monkey boys.

Chair sliding solution at our house :)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35733.jpg

table4three
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
sounds like my son. his newest trick this week is pushing the kitchen chair over to the counter and climbing up on top of the counter so he can play with whatever it is that he sees. waiting for this phase to pass... and "no" is hilarious at our house too.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

californiagirl
10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
It's a phase. Get him lots of time when he can climb things. Many people put a climbing toy out; some of them designate some furniture as fair game; and we left a step-stool in the middle of living room on and off for 6 months.