PDA

View Full Version : CDC 12 month milestones, does your baby do these? Freaking out

JulieL
10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/ActEarly/milestones_1year.html

My dd doesn't

Cognitive:

Looks at correct picture when the image is named (only will she look at me or the cat, that I *know* for sure will she search for if asked)

Begins to use objects correctly (drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver) : She will bring a cup to her lips, but none of these other types of actions

Language:

Responds to simple verbal requests

Responds to “no (though we haven't had to use this a lot so far)

Uses exclamations, such as “Oh-oh!�

Movement:
Reaches sitting position without assistance
Crawls forward on belly
Assumes hands-and-knees position
Creeps on hands and knees
Gets from sitting to crawling or prone (lying on stomach) position
Pulls self up to stand
Walks holding on to furniture
Stands momentarily without support
May walk two or three steps without support

none of these

Hand and Finger Skills:

Puts objects into container

Pokes with index finger

Tries to imitate scribbling

The movement part we knew was an issue, but these others, I didn't realize she should be doing. Do all 12 month olds do these skills? Does it matter that they do all of them? I'm so freaked out right now. Our neurologist apt is on thursday and I'm really just holding my breathe.

JTsMom
10-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Julie,
Take a deep breath! :) You read the paragraph at the begining, right?

Babies develop at their own pace, so it’s impossible to tell exactly when your child will learn a given skill. The developmental milestones listed below will give you a general idea of the changes you can expect, but don’t be alarmed if your own baby’s development takes a slightly different course.

All 12 month olds do NOT do those things- they are just done AROUND 12 months for most babies. Plus, I think you're not giving her credit for some of the ones that someone else would check off- if that makes sense. For example:

Begins to use objects correctly (drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver) : She will bring a cup to her lips, but none of these other types of actions

I'd count that, b/c it says BEGINS, not totally mastered. Also, children tend to develop a lot in one area, then work on another. So if she is more advanced in social/emotional skills, maybe those are the ones she chose to work on first, kwim?

Jason did some of those things at 12 months, but didn't do others. Some are really hard to say too- like if you haven't specifically tried to get her to point to pics in a book when you name them, you might not know if she can do it or not. She might surprise you.

I'm not an expert, but I do have a BA in psych, and I'm certified in elem. ed, so I do have some knowledge in this area.

I think we all stress about this stuff at some time or another. I worry about Jason's expressive language skills all the time. Just when I get very freaked out, he'll take a big jump forward. Hang in there, and good luck at your appointment.

megs4413
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm so sorry you're freaking out, Julie! I know DD did *some* of those things at 12 mos. but i woudl have to say that she didn't do *all* of them until at least 15. all kids are different and guidelines like these can be confusing. one time i remember freaking out cause i read somethign that said DD should know 3 body parts....i hadn't even taught her any body parts yet! I just didn't think of it! I hope you get some answers from the neuro...and i hope you get some good news!

lilycat88
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Julie,
Stop googling.

All kids do things at a different pace. DD was doing some of these thing but certainly not all.

stefani
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't freak out :-)

No, definitely DS did not do all of the above by 12 months! He did do some, but not all.

Those listed do seem to be quite "advanced" for a year old, and the "mantra" I use is that "every child develops at their own pace" :-) There are times when I am wondering how come DS has not done XXX and then a week or two later, suddenly he decided to do it!

Hope your visit to the neurologist is fruitful, and gives you peace of mind.

juliasmom05
10-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Julie,

I hope you are hanging in there. My DD is speech delayed, so I know how worried you are. I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you guys, and I hope your neurologist appt. goes well today.