PDA

View Full Version : Concerns for 21-month old DS development

mommysammi
10-23-2006, 12:18 AM
DS seems to have a great memory. He recognized the alphabets at 18-months old. At 21-months, he knows all the alphabets, a lot of sign language signs, counts, and talks in phrases. None of us are geniuses in the family so I doubt he is one too. I'm just a little concerned with what to do with him. I don't want to stunt his development. I don't want to send him off to school at such a young age. Who can I talk to about this? Child psychologist? Teachers? Not our pediatrician as she doesn't seem to know whom I should talk to either.

Thanks in advance.

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think you really need to do anything. Just provide activities, books and keep talking to him. They learn and get a lot out of just daily life...nothing extra required. :) Zoo, museum, grocery store, these are all learning places. I think that if you follow their lead that is the best. Have you considered classes to take together like music, gymnastics, offerings at museums and such?

We are currently in a similair sit. with our 4yo who is just so into letters, spelling, "reading." I don't want to push anything so I am just answering his questions and working with his interests.

Is he on track with emotional development and such? If so then I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't start with a child psych. as I don't think this is really problematic behavior. It sounds pretty normal, maybe a bit ahead but not outside the ranges. A teacher or even the staff at a school supply store could be helpful.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Btw, do you have a copy of the American Academy of Pediatrcs' "caring for Your Baby and Young Child"? It has great chapters on normal development, red flags and helpful information on their overall development.

Beth

stefani
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I take it that you are wondering whether your DS is "gifted" and how to help him to flourish rather than concerned that he is behind?

I would say just provide environment where he can explore different things, have different experiences, etc, like what others have suggested.

Gifted / talented testings, etc. are not "recommended" until close to school age, or 4 years old.

Good luck.

californiagirl
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd recommend "Einstein Never Used Flashcards". Give him a rich environment (do stuff, talk about stuff, get dirty, read books) and don't discourage him or push him -- let him follow his interests. You won't stunt him accidentally.