PDA

View Full Version : speech

Andrewjosefsmom
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

HELP!! My son, Andrew, will be turning 18 months old on the 16th of June, and he is barely saying any words except mamma and dadda. He knows exactly what we say, is able to follow several stepped instructions, takes us by the hand to show us where he wants to go, etc. I am extremely worried because he isn't saying any words. By now, according to several toddler books, he should have a vocabulary of at least 20 words, and should be using very simple sentences (Momma, up). I talk to him all of the time, describe everything, read books, etc. and still nothing. Every once in a while he will try repeating a word I say, but that has seemed to cease also. He is extremely active and smart and hears everything and understands everthing. I was a teacher for 15 years, so this is most upsetting and frustrating to me because I've been doing everything I know as a teacher to get him to talk. I know all children develop differently, but I really think he should be saying more than two words. He is going in for his 18 month check-up in a few weeks. I plan on talking to his doctor then, but thought it best to see if any other moms/dads have experienced this.

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.

o_mom
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I think your books are off. :-) I would mention it to the doctor, but don't be surprised if they say it is normal.

Most development charts I have seen say "several" single words by 18 months and simple two word sentences by 24 months. Even those are just averages and not delayed.

If his receptive language skills are there, I think you need to just give him some time. It sounds like he is fine with understanding what you say, so that is good.

One thing that has helped my kids with language has been sign language. Using some simple signs has helped reinforce the concept of word=object/action and helped ease frustrations with not being able to say some words. Singning Time videos are great for learning the signs for both of you.

Bryan mom
06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I was in a similar situation as you are now and know exactly how you feel. At 18 months, DS barely talked or said anything. The pediatrician at his 18 month check-up said that I need to have him evaluated for speech and hearing. Instinct tells me that nothing is wrong, especially his hearing. Like your son, he hears and understands everything. I waited until his 2 year old check-up and saw a different pediatrician at the same clinic. DS added a few words to his vocabulary (mostly animals) and the pediatrician said it was all fine. However, I decided to have him evaluated for the Early Intervention program and he did not qualify (he was not delayed enough to qualify). Since my medical plan covered speech therapy, I figured it wouldn't hurt. He's had 0.5 hour speech therapy sessions once a week for the past 3 months and now (DS is 27 months old), his speech pathologist thinks he's may not need her help much longer.

In summary, go with your instincts. Do wait and see. You may have him evaluated by Early Intervention (it's free) and go from there.

sunriseiz
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi!

My DS just turned 15 months old and doesn't say anything...not even mama or dada. Like your child he understands so much and can communicate with some simple signs and I am grateful for both of those things! Our ped is slightly concerned (we just had his check up), but said we would wait until his 18 month appointment and see how things are then before doing anything. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate an update on your son and what you are doing.

Best wishes and thanks,
Sunny

Andrewjosefsmom
06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi Sunny :o)

Andrew started saying "bye bye" and waving his hand on Sun. (Father's Day). I keep repeating words in hopes he will try repeating them. Sometimes, I hear him say something (or think I do) but can't get him to repeat it LOL! I'll keep you posted. Please do the same with your son. I'd truly like to hear how he progresses.

Thanks so much,

Marilyn

sunriseiz
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on Andrew's words! I know what you mean, sometimes I KNOW I hear Wilson say something, but I never hear it again. LOL! FWIW, I checked a baby einstein sign language video out from the library last week and Wilson enjoyed it. The big surprise came last night when I asked if he wanted to take a bath and he made the sign...wow!!! I told DH I am going back to get another one!

Thanks again for the update. I will try to do the same over the next couple of months. Hopefully, we will both see some positive changes!

Sunny

sunriseiz
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Marilyn!

Just a quick update...Wilson said 'da' a few days ago. I never had any idea I'd be excited about that! :) Also, we've watched a couple of signing videos (the baby einstein one is good) and he is starting to sign like crazy...so much sometimes it is 'garbled' just like early speech might be LOL! BUT, he is communicating which is great.

I hope things are going well with you and Andrew!

Sunny

Andrewjosefsmom
07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi Sunny!

That's WONDERFUL news about Wilson!!! I think he's going to be just fine!!! I know how you feel about being excited. Andrew now says ball, bye-bye,gone, and hi. This in a week or sos time. I'm no longer concerned...I think he's on a roll.

Hey, would you like to exchange e-mails and send pictures of the kids to each other? It would be nice to put faces with names and stories. Let me know.

Have a great 4th!

Marilyn :o)

sunriseiz
07-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Marilyn!

I tried to email you through the board, but I am guessing it didn't work. I would love to keep in touch about our boys! Maybe I will try to PM you....

I am so excited for you and Andrew!!! It DOES sound like he is on a roll! Wilson hasn't said anything new still. We have been working on some more signing and it is kind of funny...it's like he is 'babbling' with his hands ! LOL! He gets soooo excited when we understand him! We went ahead and called the ped (she is great) and are waiting to hear from the developmental folks to talk about having him evaluated. DH and i have come to the point of thinking it can't hurt anything just to have him checked out. The dr's office said it could take a week to hear from them, so I am trying to be patient.

Let me know if you don't get a message from me and I'll just post my email.

Talk to you soon!