PDA

View Full Version : Good Book on Development?

anniesco
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a good, basic reference book on developmental stages for babies & toddlers? I borrowed "The Wonder Years" from the library, and I like it but I don't like that it's organized by type of development, not chronologically (the chapters are divided by motor development, speech, etc., so for each month of baby's life you'd have to look through the different chapters to find the relevant info). I also borrowed Touchpoints, by Brazelton, but I'm not really crazy about that one, either -- it's sort of more dense than I want. I am looking for a simple, checklist-y type of book, ideally, not something else I have to spend a lot of time reading.

SnuggleBuggles
10-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Check out "Caring for your Baby and Young Child" by the American Academy of Pediatrics. It is organized by age. Each age then is broken down into physical, cognitive and emotional development. There are checklists and everything. Goes from birth to age 5 so it is pretty inclusive.

http://www.amazon.com/Caring-Your-Young-Child-Revised/dp/055338290X/ref=cm_cr-mr-title/103-3047706-3975015

HTH,
Beth

NewGrandma
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I bought the book called "Ages & Stages Learning Activities" by Elizabeth Twombly & Ginger Fink and love it. I spent many hours researching for such a book. Twombly works in Early Intervention & Fink works in Early childhood education.
It is broken down into age groups ranging from birth to 60 months. Each age group has a separate page of activities for ech these areas: Communication, Gross Motor,Fine Motor, Problem Solving, and Personal Social. The activities will give you a great idea of what your child 'should' be doing at the specified age. I found it very helpful in supplying ideas for doing ordinary developmentally appropriate things that you might take for granted. My grandson was born premature so he had some fine motor delays and this book really educated me about all developmental areas and if he was on target or if we needed to spend more time with a particular area.
If you want me to tell you any specifics about this book just ask!
Linda