PDA

View Full Version : 10 1/2 Month Old Throwing Fits

Kieransmom
03-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi-
We've been running into a problem the past month and a half. My 10 1/2 month old son is throwing fits all the time. Especially diaper changes. It's been at its worst the past 2 weeks when we change him into his jammies at bedtime. He freaks out and starts flipping himself around and tries to crawl away. It takes the 2 of us to get him dressed. Once we're done he's fine but if anyone were to hear it they'd think we were torturing the poor kid! Anyone have this problem or any suggestions?

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

stefani
06-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Michelle,

My 9 month old son is doing the same thing, starting around 7 or 8 months. Now that he is more mobile (can flip, creep & stand) then it gets harder for us to change him. Is Kieran still doing that now? I don't really have any suggestions except to just change him as fast as possible (he is not helping either!). I use my elbow to pin him down (so he doesn't move around as much). I hope this will stop someday...

Good luck!
Stefani
Mommy to Kiran, born Sept 5, 2003

crunchymomma
07-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Distraction is key! Give him a toy to play with and he won't notice as much that you are trying to change him. Give him something really special, engaging, or if you're really desperate, something that he's not usually alloed to play with (like the remote, the phone, etc.).

pganju
12-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi,
We were having the same problem with my daughter, then one of the mom's at gymboree had a brilliant solution. She said to put a sticker on Diya's hand while I am changing her diaper. So now Diyya looks at her sticker peacefully while I change her diaper. She actually asks for a sticker if I forget.
Priya mom to Diyya born 12/4/03

stefani
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi Priya,

That's a great idea! Distractions.

It is better now at 15 months. He still cries at times when he doesn't want to stop whatever he is doing to be changed, but he fights it less now. The "wrestling" is not so often anymore.

Happy 1st. Birthday to Diyya!