PDA

View Full Version : Discipline and soon to be 1 year old

TahliasMom
04-29-2005, 02:28 AM
We're reaching the lovely age of 1 and DD is starting to act out a little bit, throwing tantrums and arching her back when she doesn't get her way or is removed from a situation. We realize it's the age and DD doesn't understand but we want to know how to handle her in these situations. And her sign language is limited so she can't really express all her emotions through it. My DH and I are both in agreement that we don't want to do any physical punishment, we were spanked and/or whipped and do now wish to bring up our child in that kind of evironment. Therefore we are looking into alternative ways of "discipline." Would appreciate any advice on books/methods you are using or have successfully used.

TIA!

jennmw
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I would love to know also as we are going through the same thing. If we take something away from him he starts screaming and then if we are out and we don't let him down to walk he screams and just goes limp or pushes you away.

TahliasMom
06-28-2005, 12:45 AM
I reposted this on the baby board and got referred to the www.gentlechristianmothers.com It's a bit religious but there's a great thread on discipline and tons of books and etc. hope this helps you...
at this age I mostly use distraction. i'll take something away and give her a fav toy to distract her. I don't think there's much you can do at this young age.
as for wanting to be let down. DD developed a hatred for her stroller around 11.5 months. so off to toys r us we went. she felt in love with this step 2 buggy and now we take it everywhere and she's very contend riding around in it! again distraction but it works..