PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand the whining!!!!

swampnurse
10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Could someone please offer me some advice or at least point me in the direction of a previous thread on the subject of whining? My son tunred 2 at the end of July and recently has been whining about EVERYTHING he wants. "Watch Thomaaaaaasss, noooooooow". I try to ignore him or tell him i don't understand the whining, but it contnues. HELP!!!

cmdunn1972
10-07-2006, 02:22 PM
It might help to do an advanced search in the forum that you think it might have been in. (If I had to guess, it would be in either the Lounge or the Bitching Post.)

Is this the one you were looking for?:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=355687&mesg_id=355687&listing_type=search

HTH!

Jenn98
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I have no BTDT advice, but maybe if you made him repeat everything he said without wining until you give him what he wants? My't have mom used to do that with me when I was little. I couldn"t have what I wanted until I could ask for it w/o whining. HTH!

kcandz
10-07-2006, 04:46 PM
The only BTDT advice I have is:

- don't make a big deal about it, any behavior that turns into a "hot button" with the parent is really hard to deter

- with an even-toned voice, say "I can't understand that voice. could you ask again clearly?"

- do not act until the non-whining voice you want to hear comes out - I found at first getting DC to even recognize whine vs. non-whine was a process

- try to reward the good voice whenever possible. of course it isn't possible 100 percent.

- repeat for every whine, ad nauseum

In my experience, ignoring resulted in really loud whining.

We had a three-month whining phase but DC seems to be over it for the most part now at two and a half. So they do grow out of it - hang in there.

HTH

raynjen
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
At two we found it necessary to model the good voice. We would say, "sorry, I don't speak Whinese, did you mean to say this - Mommy, may I please watch Thomas now?" Then, and this is the hard part, stick to your guns. These little guys are like gamblers at a slot machine. If whining "pays out" once out of every ten times then they will keep it in their aresenal and pull it out on you. So you have to outlast him!

Jen in Wichita
Mom to my beautiful little daughter, Noelle!

http://by.lilypie.com/yB-om6/.png