PDA

View Full Version : Discipline for a 14month old?

mls115
04-09-2007, 06:20 PM
OK, DS is walking and running and climbing. I have the house pretty well baby proofed but he still manages to slide into areas he's not allowed. I say No and redirect about 1,000 times a day. Is there any way to reinforce?

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Honestly, I just kept baby proofing till I had a house with very, very few "no's." It was just much easier and good for him to get to explore without my constant redirection. we had one really well done room where we spent most of our time.

Now, I admit that right before we moved (when ds was 15 months :)) he was finding ways to escape that room (impossible to find a gate/ rearrange furniture to form a perfect barricade). Luckily we moved and that solved that dilema. :) I would have just kept fortifying if I had to stay there.

If you are interested, here are the Dr. Sear's discipline links. You may find some good idea in there.
http://askdrsears.com/html/6/T060100.asp

mls115
04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks! That is a great website. My husband and I will study up!
As for the babyproofing... I agree with you and have made our primary hang-out area very safe for him but now he's like a little mouse squeezing into the smallest spaces to get into trouble. We have a fireplace that he has never paid much attention to and now he is constantly climbing up there (when he's bored?). Thank God it's nice weather so we can go outside when he needs a change of scenery - idle hands are the devils playground (or something like that). I think after a long winter his toys are looking rather drab. Maybe I'll try to rotate in some new toys and put away some others. :)