PDA

View Full Version : Reaction after DTaP

sdayleh05
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
My son had DTaP at 2 and 4 months and the second time the reaction was worse. First time he had mild fever and was lethargic (nursed and slept all day). Second time, much higher fever, whimpering, nursed and slept. He always has fever for 2 days - on the second day it subsides. Doc says fever up to 105 is normal - but I don't want my son to ever get that high of fever and am worried about a more serious reaction. Both times he was given Tylenol to help reduce the fever. VERY nervous and scared about his 6 month shots. Anyone has similar story/advice? Doc just says it is fine, nothing they can do. Since he'll be 6 mos is ibuprofen more appropriate? I've never been a big Tylenol fan.

ChristinaLucia
06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Did you give him his 6 month shot? How did it go?

Twinsplusone
06-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Doc says
>fever up to 105 is normal - >
Doc just says it is fine,
>nothing they can do.

First, WHAT is normal about(up to) 105* fever?????

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

sdayleh05
06-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Didn't go back yet. Will try at his 9 month visit. Keeping my fingers crossed. Switched peds.

bunnisa
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
In your shoes, if my child had a reaction like that I would not give him another dose, at least not until his immune system was better developed.

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

brittone2
10-17-2006, 03:32 PM
ITA. I believe it is relatively common for the reactions to get worse with each subsequent DTaP injection if your child had an adverse reaction to the earlier ones.

I would also file with VAERS. If your physician won't do it, you can do it yourself in 10 mins.

http://vaers.hhs.gov/