PDA

View Full Version : CP Vaccine Reaction question

jamsmu
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
DS2 was vaccinated 2 weeks ago yesterday (so 15 days ago.) Yesterday afternoon he developed pox. They crusted overnight, and he has a lot of zits left, but some new pox have appeared (mostly all on his face, though one on his arm and one on his leg.) The ped said this is within the "normal" time range to see an outbreak and this is a rare reaction, but does occur. If he still has pox tomorrow, though, I need to take him to the ped to be checked. Oh, and they don't seem to itch.

So, my question, how contagious is he? Its a pretty small case... but can I take him with me when I take DS1 to school tomorrow, if I keep him in the stroller or in my arms? And even though DS1 is vaccinated and doesn't have any pox, could he be a carrier (I don't need to keep him home, right? I mean, he doesn't have chicken pox.)

Thanks everyone! I'm going to call the ped if necessary...

JBaxter
09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I believe as long as they have new pox and are not 100% crusted he is contagious. I think taking him along to school would be a bad idea.
Your other DS could break out w/ chickenpox also. Maybe up to 2 weeks from now.
THe vaccine is not 100% My 2 oldes had the vax and both contracted chickenpox 3 yrs later.
Hope he isnt too ill or itchy.

jamsmu
09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your response. Found out a few additional facts from the ped...

-its not actual chicken pox, just a "part of them." Which explains why he isn't scratching. He has the pox because its a "live" vaccine.
-they don't recommend taking him to school with his brother. There's no medical testing done that can tell if he is contagious or not, so they recommend keeping him away from anyone who could potentially catch it (in this case, the concern would be the babies and the preggo moms, since the kids are vaccinated.)
-DS1 is not contagious nor is he a carrier. Though he could contract it, its not likely. He's been exposed twice already, so he's likely to carry the antibody already.

The fact that your oldr kids both contracted CP 2 years later is right in line with the reason they are proposing having a booster when the kids go to kindergarten (or before.)

Thanks for your help!

JBaxter
09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Or just let them get chickenpox for the natural immunity!

madelinesmom
09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Hopefully they can get the pox when they are still young. I got them at 21 (my first year teaching school). I was very sick, high fever, etc. It was the most miserable Christmas on record...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

o_mom
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
>Thanks for your response. Found out a few additional facts
>from the ped...
>
>-its not actual chicken pox, just a "part of them." Which
>explains why he isn't scratching. He has the pox because its a
>"live" vaccine.

I would say he is not scratching because of his age. DS2 had them at that age and didn't scratch a bit.

>-they don't recommend taking him to school with his brother.
>There's no medical testing done that can tell if he is
>contagious or not, so they recommend keeping him away from
>anyone who could potentially catch it (in this case, the
>concern would be the babies and the preggo moms, since the
>kids are vaccinated.)

From the CDC VIS:

"Mild rash, up to a month after vaccination (1
person out of 20, or less). It is possible for these
people to infect other members of their household,
but this is extremely rare."

So, yes, keep him home until everything is crusted over. :-(

>-DS1 is not contagious nor is he a carrier. Though he could
>contract it, its not likely. He's been exposed twice already,
>so he's likely to carry the antibody already.
>

His contagious period (if he does get breakthrough disease) would be two weeks from now. So right now he wouldn't be, but might in a couple of weeks.

>The fact that your oldr kids both contracted CP 2 years later
>is right in line with the reason they are proposing having a
>booster when the kids go to kindergarten (or before.)
>

Actually, the reason for the booster is to try and induce immunity in the 20% or more of kids that do not have immunity after one dose. This is the same as the MMR booster. It does not provide any more immunity to someone who responded to the first dose, just in some of those who didn't respond the first time. If they respond the first time, the protection is long-lived (25 years or more in studies).