PDA

View Full Version : First Timers for Flu Vax -- Side effects?

chiqanita
10-13-2006, 03:53 PM
DH & I are going to get the flu shot for the first time that either of us know of. I taught prior to having our twins and never got it because I felt I would get sick for certain. I can recall getting the flu once out of the 10 years I was in the classroom. DH has gotten the flu a few times. DSx2 have been home with me since they were born but this fall we've signed up for some gym classes that run through to December. I know that place will be filled with cooties.

That said, we're scheduled for the flu shot on Monday and DSx2 are scheduled for Wed of next week.

What side effects should I expect for DH and myself? For DSx2?

Thanks

mfenimore
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I just had a sore arm for a few days, last year I had no side effects.
For my son(10 months) he was a little irritable for the next day but I am not sure if it was connected or not, he also had a little black and blue where he got the shot.

kijip
10-21-2006, 09:30 PM
My mother is immune compromised, can not be vaccinated as she is currently in chemo and so we all get the flu vaccine each year. No side affects other than a slightly sore arm for a day or so.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
We are taking our 4yo to get one today. He got it last year and I don't remember any side effects from it. I'll let you know if anything pops up this time around.

I have never had it nor has my dh.

beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Ds did great. He was very scared of getting a shot but he was very brave. They gave him a toy first and lollipops right after. He started to cry when they were prepping his leg, seemed to be in anticipation. As soon as the needle was in he stopped crying and was fine. He may have been a bit fussier than normal but nothing major.

I wouldn't have done it if he weren't in a preschool program. If he were little and just home with us mostly I wouldn't have bothered.

There was a study done in Japan where they only vaccinated school aged kids for the flu (not babies or the elderly) and the rate of flu really dropped. I figured that they picked up most stuff at school. That study seems to support that.

GL!
Beth