PDA

View Full Version : Delayed & selective vax'ers - I need quick info!

JoyNChrist
05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
DS has his 2 month ped appointment Thursday, and he's supposed to start the regular vaccination schedule. I had planned to research everything (I ordered Stephanie Cave's book, but then Amazon screwed up the shipment) and be well-prepared to discuss alternative options with our doctor. But, life with a newborn being what it is, the appointment has kind of snuck up on me and now I haven't done any research at all.

I'm not sure that we're going to be doing delayed or selective vax, but I want to know all my options. I just don't want to agree to anything without feeling well-informed. Can anybody recommend some good, non-biased internet sources? I'm kicking myself for not getting the info sooner, but these two months have just flown by!

brittone2
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
just have a sec, but since your asking...here's my advice.

Don't do *anything* until you are sure of what you want to do. Tell your doc you need time, and that that fact isn't up for discussion. Be firm in that. Whether you decide to continue to selectively vax, etc. obviously is your own decision, but do not allow someone to pressure you if you aren't ready (and many, if not most docs will try to guilt or force you into something unless you are VERY clear that you are not interested in discussing it at this point in time).

Believe me, many a parent has gone in w/ the thought of delaying only to be pressured into doing something they weren't ready to do, and then regretting it. If you truly want to research it, take your time, and be firm tomorrow and say I do not give my consent today. Period. I know that sounds harsh, but if you are wishy washy, they're going to tell you you really *need* to give XYZ today, and then the next time it will be one more, then one more. If you choose to continue, that's obviously up to you, but be firm when you go that you do. not. want. anything. at. all. End of story.

Kwim?

"unbiased internet sources" aren't the easiest to find, but they exist. A good starting point, although overwhelming, is the Simpsonwood transcripts. MDC's vax forum is obviously "biased" but there is legit scientific info, particularly posts by Momtezuma on there. She often has legit journal citations. Not sure how comfy you are with reading the medical literature on your own? Also look for info from the CDC's "pink book." Check out the VAERS database for any vaxes your child might be getting in the future.

Seriously, the best advice anyone can give you is to be firm until you are VERY SURE what you want to do. If you seem on the fence, I can almost guarantee you that you will be pressured into doing something, whether you are ready or not.

JBaxter
05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
As Beth said just tell the doc you are doing some research. I would delay until the next visit. My SIL in Japan said her doctor over there didnt start any until 6 months and then they only recieved 1 shot per visit.

What would you like to know PM or email me I have a bunch of stuff from the CDC saved on my computer Id be glad to send you the links.

You can always give you just can take it back.

Good luck

o_mom
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Just to give you some place to start, the CDC has the following vaccines on the 2 month schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/Nip/recs/child-schedule-color-print.pdf):

Hep B
Rotavirus
DTaP
Hib
PCV (Prevnar)
IPV (Polio)

The only one that you would need to truely make a decsion on would be Rotavirus as it cannot be started later than 12 wks.

MMR, Chicken Pox and Hep A don't come up until 12 mos or later, so you have more time on those. If you are thinking about selective vax, the catch-up schedule at the bottom of that link can give you some good information on the number of doses needed later.

MommyAllison
05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I totally agree with the PP - don't do anything tomorrow if you aren't sure. You can always catch up later, but you can't take the vaccine out once it's in! Hope your book arrives soon :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

kjezierski
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
After much research, we decided to follow the CDC-recommended schedule. However, this is your decision and you should take your time. If they tell you not getting the shots at this visit means DC will have to get a lot more at the next visit, remind them that is only the case if you decide it's worth that to get DC back on the recommended schedule. Even if you decide to go the whole nine yards and get all the vax, the impact of delaying two months, until your next appointment, to begin is negligible.

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

JMS
05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Not to advocating lying, but instead of stressing, why don't you postpone the appt for a week to give yourself more time to research your options. Just say something came up and reschedule. I think as long as you give 24 hours notice, it's really not that big of a deal.

GL.. it's such a hard decision to have to make.

egfmba
05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I'd say go to the appointment but skip the vax's for now. Go to the DAN (Defeat Autism Now) website and look for vaccination info there. Also, motheringdotcommune has some delayed/non-vaxing advocates from which to learn and gain further resources.

My own doctor, when I mentioned it, asked another patient's parent if they wouldn't mind sharing their info with me and they were happy to give me a delayed vax schedule! It's from the DAN vax plan, so I feel comfortable with it.

Please don't feel you have to vax this week. There's no harm in putting it off until you know more. The first 2 months of your baby's life are too hectic already to stress over this. Take your time so *you* feel comfortable.

good luck,
eva

denna
05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Dr Sears' website also has some great information on the risk factors of vaccines (on a scale) and delayed schedule suggestions. We chose to delay vaccines until 12mos and DS just got his first vax a single shot, DTaP. Our own decision was to not give DS the HepB or Rotovirus shot at all (as well as MMR). Our ped was very supportive with our decision and told us the only battles he would chose to fight with us was for our DS to get DTaP, Hib and Prevnar. The rest of the vaxes he doesnt mind waiting on or not getting at all.

Good Luck, this is such a tough decision but if you are not ready I would recommend not getting a vax at this appointment you could always schedule one in a couple of weeks to get the vaccinations you chose (if thats the decision you make).

HTH

bunnisa
05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I second the Pink Book, VAERS, Simpsonwood transcripts, etc recs. Definitely go to the MDC vax forum!

Also, this is a good book for an overview:

http://www.amazon.com/Vaccinations-Thoughtful-Sensible-Decisions-Alternatives/dp/0892819316/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-5989556-2196035?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178168063&sr=1-3

And Rotavirus (Rotateq) is definitely one worth skipping, since it's a live vaccine and can CAUSE rotavirus. Add'ly, Rotateq has been linked to intussusception (prev. version of vax was recalled due to this, and current VAERS show it's still happening).

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

lisams
05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
We also skipped the rotavirus vaccine. Check out this recent FDA warning put out to drs. http://www.fda.gov/cber/safety/phnrota021307.htm

This vaccine has only been out for a little over a year and with it's history the first time I didn't want to risk it.

MarisaSF
05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
>My own doctor, when I mentioned it, asked another patient's
>parent if they wouldn't mind sharing their info with me and
>they were happy to give me a delayed vax schedule! It's from
>the DAN vax plan, so I feel comfortable with it.

I looked on the DAN site, but didn't see a suggested plan. Do you know if it is online?

MissyAg94
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
We are delayed vaxers here. We didn't start until 4 months and she only got 2 vaxes at a time...eight weeks between shots. We also haven't done Hep B, MMR or Chickenpox yet. Also, for something like Prevnar, if you delay past seven months you give less doses. I did use Dr. Cave's book so maybe you can still get it.

I agree with PP's. You don't have to make a decision right now. Take your time. Even if you don't give them at the appointment, you can go back anytime to start them.

JoyNChrist
05-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info. We went to the appointment today, and our ped was perfectly fine with waiting until I'm comfortable with my decision. He listened to all my concerns, gave me his opinions, and pointed me toward some extra reading material. He even talked about how impressed he was that I've done some preliminary research, since most parents are "woefully uninformed." I like our ped! :-)

We agreed to discuss it again at the 4-month appointment. He also gave me his personal cell phone number (!!!) to call with any questions I have, or if I need additional research sources. Very cool doctor.

scoop22
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
that is wonderful. i am so happy he was supportive. my ped was the opposite. but it all worked out. get reading mama!!! enjoy. there is so much info out there.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

MissyAg94
05-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm glad it worked out so well! Good luck with your research.

denna
05-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Mine ped wasnt very supportive either and he still has his moments from time to time.

Im glad that it all worked out.

Happy researching!