PDA

View Full Version : Should we go to the Doctor?

gina
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
My DD Olivia had a Urinary Tract Infection at about 9 months. So she has had a catheter done 2 or 3 times to check her urine whenever she has come down with a fever. She has also had the Ultrasound/VCG done to check for urinary reflux (which she did have a slight reflux--no treatment though, they said she should grow out of it). She is now 11 months old.

Anyway, the last time she had a fever 102.3, with coughing and sneezing, I took her to the Peditatrician. They said that they wanted to check her blood levels and then that was okay so they wanted to check her urine again to see if she had a UTI--Even with the coughing and sneezing, and her older sister Jade had been sick a day or two before. So it turned out everything was normal--we went to the doctor, had blood taken, had a catheter and it ended up being a virus. So we put her through all that just to find out what I pretty much already knew. We went home and took pedia Care.

So now big sister has been sick again the last few days. Last night DD Olivia had a Fever 101.7 I am debating, do I go to the doctor and have them take blood and run another catheter? I know that is what they will do. Or should I just wait it out a day and see if the fever goes down? What would you do? I can't bear to put her through all that for them to send us home again with Pedia Care. Has anyone else been through this? How long will we have to go through this before they stop checking her urine every time she has a fever?

Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia

o_mom
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I guess I would question the need for a catheter. They should be able to check the urine for blood, white cells, etc without a catheter, just doing a bag catch. Then if that is positive and they want to do a culture they can do the catheter. It will take longer and be an extra step, but if it is negative she is spared an invasive procedure.

gina
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I think I will ask them to do a bag first next time. Acutally last night around 10 pm her fever broke and She did not have a fever after that. So I think she was probably just fighting a virus. She was not acting sick either (like she did last time she had a UTI). I have been giving her diluted cranberry juice just in case though.
Thanks
Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia