PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed up??

ross.patchin
10-17-2003, 11:44 AM
My son is six weeks old, when he was two weeks old I took him to the doctor because he seemed stuffed up. They checked him out and gave him a clean bill of health - saying his nostrils are small and the smallest fuzz will cause him to seem stuffy. After four weeks and their recommendations of a humidifier and salt water nasal drops, he is still stuffy. He is the most stuffy in the middle of the night. We have two cats and a dog. Has any one had this problem? I am concerned he might be allergic to the animals, and if so want to remedy the situation ASAP. Any help or advice??

KUvsOU
10-18-2003, 10:54 AM
The only other suggestion I would have is to prop up one end of the bed at night so his head is up higher than the rest of his body. This seemed to also help our son until he was able to move all around the crib.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

MartiesMom2B
10-20-2003, 12:09 PM
I also thought my DD was stuffy because of the noises that she made. My ped said the noise was because of the narrow passages. She had the noise for quite awhile. I knew that she wasn't stuffed up though because she didn't pull away when she nursed to breathe. And I heard that babies do this when they are sick? I wouldn't think he has a stuffy nose unless he had a different eating pattern.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

COElizabeth
10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
That stuffiness is very normal, I think. James slept in his car seat for a couple of months, and that seemed more comfortable for him. I agree with Sonia that if his eating is not disturbed, it's probably not a big cause for concern. Also, while your son might possibly be allergic to your pets, there is also evidence that being around pets early in life is associated with fewer allergies later on!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

newbelly2002
10-29-2003, 05:21 AM
Dante had this as well. I was sure it was a cold at 5 weeks, but was told the same thing about small nasal passages. Being in the same room as a hot steamy shower seems to loosen the mucus enabling it to get through those tiny nasal passages, in addition to the salt solution and humidifier. It finally went away at around 10 weeks pp. I was terrified it was allergies (we have a dog and cat as well), but a year later everything seems to be fine. Ironically enough, it is the dog who has the allergies (milk) and the babe is just fine.
Congrats on your new little one!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

mandye
11-05-2003, 12:12 PM
At Hailey's 2 month check up I asked the ped about her congestion and was told that because babies' tear ducts don't work well the tears go into their noses and the result is stuffiness. I was also told to be careful about using a bulb syringe too much because it can cause the nasal passage to swell making the stuffiness worse.

mandy

Kieransmom
11-08-2003, 08:48 PM
My son had the same problem. My Pediatrician told me that it is a thing she likes to call a "snargle". (I don't know why) Babies have it between 4-10 weeks sometimes longer and it is almost as if the baby has a cold. I worried too because I have 5 cats. My son's cleared up at 12-13 weeks.
I looked through all my baby books and found that the info she gave us was correct.
We just gave him saline drops and used a vaporizer. We also used Johnson's Soothing Vapor baby bath in his bath before bed. It didn't help too much but we liked the smell.

julesjlb
12-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I feel so much better after reading these posts. I just had my 5 week old son to the doctor yesterday b/c he is very congested and has a cough. They said the same things . . . vaporizer, saline drops, elevate him at night. The nurse practitioner mentioned it might be a cold, but didn't really say. I'm hoping it clears up soon but it sounds like we could be dealing with this for a while?!? He slept in his car seat last night for the first time but I think it looks so uncomfortable . . . probably more of an issue for me than for him.

HallysMomma
09-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Sounds like we all have the same problem!! I hate to say this, but at 5 months, we are still dealing with it! My mother-in-law swears my DD must have asthma (she is super paranoid) and my mom is always concerned. I have taken her to the Dr at least 3 times just for the congestion since she was a few weeks old and there is just nothing that can be done. I am not going to keep taking her just to hear the same thing!
Propping her us definitely helps. She sometimes sleeps in the car seat or bouncy seat.