PDA

View Full Version : My son is taking Zantac

MolBiol99
12-10-2004, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there whose child is taking Zantac for acid reflux? I took our DS to the Ped because he was spitting up so much between and during feedings and crying after he spit up. The Ped. said she wouldn't prescribe Zantac except for the fact that he still had Strider breaths (where he makes a high pitched "heeee" sound when he takes a deep, quick breath) and if he aspirated any of the acidic spit up it might cause damage to his windpipe and not allow the Strider breathing to heal correctly. Anyone else with a similar situation?

He hates the taste of the Zantac! I hate the smell of the Zantac! Has anyone ever had to have medication flavored for their child. My DS is only 3 mo. and I don't want to give him anything too strongly flavored. Any suggestions?

Nachokitty
01-28-2005, 10:45 PM
My daughter is taking it. She has acid reflux too. She's 3 months. She HATES the taste and the smell. What's up with making medicine minty fresh? Ick!

I've been researching the side effects of this drug and am wondering how long we should have her on it.

Hope your son is doing better!

aa2mama
02-06-2005, 11:00 PM
My son was took Zantac for reflux until he was 10 months old. One thing that we did was keep it in the refrigerator as that seemed to tone down the flavor a bit.

NewGrandma
02-22-2005, 07:48 PM
My grandson was born 11 weeks prematurely and has been on zantac since he was about 6 weeks old for acid reflux. He is now 2 1/2 months old corrected. My daughter was instructed that the taste is terrible for babies and to mix it with either her breast milk or formula and babies don't mind it at all. I hope this helps you!
Linda
NewGrandma

ljfmom
01-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Hello, my son has been on Zantac as well as many other meds for reflux.......he is 9 months old now.........the trick is to go to a compound pharmacist who can mix it up for you. The regular one is minty which makes reflux worse! My son has allergies to milk and soy so the compound pharmacist mixes the Zantac without those ingredients and flavors it with grape............he loves it....good luck. ljf