PDA

View Full Version : Finding a nanny?

Jaliebean
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm due with my first baby in about 4 months, and then after 3 months of maternity leave, I will be looking for a nanny or placing the baby in daycare. I know I need to get on the daycare waiting lists, but I'm trying tofind out if we can afford a nanny. What is the going rate these days? (I'm in Austin, TX.) Is it around $10/hour? Also, any suggestions of where to find one if I don't want to pay for a formal nanny service? I've seen resumes on Craig's List, but I'm not sure where else to go. Also, how far ahead should I start looking for a nanny? Thanks for any help you can provide.

jgriffin
07-11-2006, 01:05 AM
This doesn't really answer your question, but I had a lot of luck finding a daycare using Craig's List (I'm in SF Bay area). I was looking for a small, in-home daycare, and there were lots that advertised there. Contrary to what I should have done, I started looking a little over a month before I went back to work (yeah, I was totally in denial!), but I found a daycare I liked within a couple of weeks.

Are there any mom's groups in your area? They may have lists of nannies, or you could meet some other parents who could recommend one, or at least give you a sense of the current rates.

HTH!

Jen

momof1squirt
07-23-2006, 01:29 PM
as a former nanny for 5 years (four families) I would highly recommend using a service to find someone. They run background checks and crminal histories which is very important when you are working with kids. About 5 years ago I was making $10 an hour (from 7:30-5:30 M-F) 45 mins outside Philadelphia for one little boy (started when he was 9 months). Look in the phone book for services or do word of mouth advertising for a nanny. Chances are someone you know knows someone who can help.
If you go daycare get on a list NOW. I was on a daycare list starting when I was 8 months pregnant and stayed home for 3 months after ds was born and I only got into this daycare because a child was moving out of the infant room to the toddler room. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a shot because it was a very hard one to get into.

Good luck!

Andrea W :)