PDA

View Full Version : Woo- hoo - Kasey is finally using the potty!!!

momathome
09-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Just when I thought it would never happen, she went once on Saturday and twice on Sunday. She is 2 years and 7 months old and had shown zero interest up to this point with using the potty so we are celebrating big-time around her right now. We bribed her (yes, BRIBED her!) with a toy if she went so after she did on Saturday, she decided she wanted a Greg Wiggles doll. Sure, no problem. 5 stores in 3 towns later, we finally found this rare doll (who knew?). Now, she is a happy, pottying girl. With luck, maybe she will be truly trained by year's end (a mom can dream!).
-Lauren
P.S. Did I mention I hate potty training????

mom2kandj
09-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I'm soooooooooo tired of potty training, too! I hate those people whose kids were done in less than a week. DD is doing well using the potty at home, but forget using a public potty! We've been on house arrest for the last week because of potty training and I am going stir crazy.....................

Edited to add! GO KASEY! GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

emmiem
09-15-2003, 02:14 PM
My 36 month old loves to go on the potty! However, it is always after I have changed her diaper! She likes to play in it and put toys in it so I guess it is just not time. I am not in a big rush as I just want her trained by next fall for preschool. We are just too busy with activites and my other children's stuff to be stuck in the house. IMHO, it will happen when it will happen. Besides, if we get rid of the diaper, none of her clothes will fit because she is a skinny one!

lukkykatt
09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Yeah, Kasey!

Don't think a thing about Kasey's previous lack of interest. I just finally got my 3 year 9 month old son "trained" (can you call it trained when you are constantly cleaning urine off the floor due to poor aim, and soap from all over the sink?)

By this time, I had resorted to pleas, bribes (a red tricycle, which he turned down several months ago) anything I could think of. I was already plotting how I could get him through his 4 year old well visit without the doctor figuring out that he had not been trained yet!

So you are not at all alone in the potty front, and you and Kasey should be quite proud of yourselves!

momathome
09-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Of course, when I asked Kasey this morning if she wanted to use the potty, she said NO!!! When I told her that if she went pee-pee I would give her a sticker (yes, bribery again!), she said, and I quote, "I already HAVE a sticker, Mama!" and she proceded to run and get the sticker that I gave her when she went potty yesterday. Do we need to stoop to M&M's, Skittles, Starbursts????? Ugh!!! I used to baby-sit for a little girl who was 3 and her mother was desperately trying to train her and told the little girl that once she was potty-trained, they would take her to Disney World. Smart and stubborn little girl that she was, she said "I don't want to go to Disney World, I like my diapers!" Hard to argue with that! Wish me luck as i go back into the potty trenches...
-Lauren

mom2kandj
09-15-2003, 05:59 PM
At playgroup today, someone suggested Dr. Phil's one day potty training theory. I haven't yet looked up his site, but may just have to give it a try! You never know! :)

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

brubeck
09-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Amy made a huge leap a couple of weeks ago and can now stay dry all day, but only if I MAKE her use the potty with verbal commands. If I leave it up to her (even with suggestions such as, 'don't you want to use the potty now?') I get tons of wet underwear. I have noticed that she will someitmes use the potty voluntarily if she gets naked so I am currently downstairs while she is upstairs for her nap NAKED. I left the potty in the room and the real toilet is also available for her so there is a place to go if she needs it. I am crossing my infgers and desperately hoping this doesn't bomb on me!

Anyhow, Kasey is younger than Amy so I'm very impressed and happy for you! I too am hoping to have a potty-trained 3 year old but there are just days I have my doubts....

If anyone tries the Dr. Phil method let me know how it goes. I tried to Azrin & Foxx one day method and it was a total bust.

lukkykatt
09-15-2003, 07:52 PM
I did try the Dr. Phil method, and it didn't work for us. Although, I must say that at the time I tried it, DS probably wasn't "ready". He hadn't yet located the muscles that control the urine flow. The only time he went on the potty was if he happened to be on it at the "right" time.

To be honest, I think what finally worked for us is that I backed off on pushing it for awhile. I had been getting so much grief from lots of well-meaning friends and family members that I started getting in a frenzy about having him trained. Finally I decided that he would do it when the time was right, and that is just what happened. Even our ped said that it was a battle of wills that I wasn't going to win. And when I admitted defeat, that is when the ball started rolling.

Your situation sounds alot different then mine though. I think that Amy is well on her way. I first put DS on the potty every hour. Then moved it to an hour and a half. Then closer to 2 hours. Then I told him that it was up to him to tell me when he needed to go. But if I knew it had been awhile, I would ask him if he needed to go. I also suggest going before we leave the house. So, I guess that I faded out gradually, and that is what worked for us.

twins r fun
09-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Oh my god, you guys are totally freaking me out with these stories! But I guess I won't worry too much yet since we've got awhile. Congrats to all those who are having success.

Here's a potty training story for you. My sister finally decided to use the potty at a busy airport while my mom was traveling solo with her (2.5) and me (age 1) from Australia to the US. Apparently you had to pay to use the bathroom stall and my sister was really into the idea of putting the coin in the little box. I don't know how long the layover was, but my mom says that fliight was the last diaper she ever wore!

brubeck
09-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Well the good news is that the naked thing seems to be working! Amy has had two naked naps now where she peed in the potty and didn't wet anything! Yesterday she even went poop in her portable potty, brought the bowl to the toilet and dumped it in, and then washed out the bowl! Oh I was dancing!

She asks me if she can wear underwear, but I tell her that it is all dirty. She obviously prefers the underwear, so if this naked thing is successful for a couple more days then I will start giving her the cotton trainers back and see if she can keep them dry. I am feeling so good right now, I'm just hoping that the progress lasts!