PDA

View Full Version : When to give her a haircut?

Rachels
10-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Abigail hasn't ever had a haircut, and until recently, hasn't had much need. But now she's turning into a little ragamuffin. I don't want to cut her hair and am trying to figure out if avoiding it is worthwhile or feasible. The back and sides don't need it, but the bangs-- yikes. They're totally in her eyes. The thing is that I really don't want her to have bangs. I don't think she'll take kindly to haircuts, and I don't want to have to keep up with trimming bangs for her. If I get her a haircut now, we'll be stuck in the bang cycle. But yikes, the scruffiness! I try to keep a barrette in her hair, but it only works when we're out and about and she's too busy to notice it's there. At home, she just pulls it right out and walks around with ehr hair in her face. What to do, what to do?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

emmiem
10-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Cutting the sides and back of the hair, will make everything appear thicker. If you don't want bangs, you might want the stylist to trim them a bit to blend them in with the sides. You will still be stuck with the barrette/headband or hairspray thing. It took a year to grow out my oldest's bangs. My youngest will be stuck with bangs because her hair falls straight down and she has a high forehead!
Emmie

egoldber
10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, my solution is obviously to keep her hair short, LOL!!

But I agree that going somewhere and getting her hair trimmed up and evened out will make it appear thicker. It will also grow out more nicely once its been cut into a style. Just be prepared to have it be traumatic for YOU! :)

HTH,

megsmom
10-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Actually, the whole haircutting thing doesn't have to be traumatic at all. Meghan actually enjoys it. We also had a great first experience which helped set the tone. We go to Cartoon Cuts at the mall here where the kids can watch a movie on the screen and they do a few things that seem to help kids take to it better. I usually bring one of her movies since she seems more entranced by her favorites, but they usually have a good selection (although I think a lot of the choices are for older kids). The stylist will let me sit in the chair with Meg on my lap if she doesn't want to sit in the chair by herself and sprays the comb with water (vs. spraying her head with the water). Then it's usually very quick, less than a few minutes and we're all done.

If Abagail has any waves or curls in her hair, you will be surprised how cute it can be when it's all shaped up and layered. Meg has bangs because up until recently she wouldn't tolerate anything in her hair. She also was putting some of the barettes and things in her mouth (imagine the horror I had seeing that in the rear view mirror while driving one day) so I don't usually even let her wear them unless I'm around.

Anyway, if you do go, take lots of pictures of Abby before and after. I made a great couple of pages in Meg's scrapbook with those photos.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #2 EDD 11/12/03

luvbeinmama
10-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Beth, I LOVE your cute new avatar!!

newbelly2002
10-21-2003, 02:55 AM
I think the key is finding a good, kid-friendly stylist who is willing to be patient. We've had one good, and one not so good experience so far (Dante's hair grows really fast!). I also agree, Rachel, that a *little* style in back and on the sides will go a long way. You could always decide on the "bangs question" once you get to the hairdressers. Based on how Abby takes the whole experience you could go or not go with them.

Speaking of which, I've got to get Dante down for his next one--it's currently in both his eyes and ears. Good luck!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

cdlamis
10-21-2003, 08:50 AM
I can't add much to this thread because I am trying to decide the same thing. Right now Julia has a semi-mullet thing going on!
Beth-
I love the new picture of Sarah! Very cute.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

loewymartin
10-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for asking this. I was about to post on the Baby Bargains board with the same question, but happened to look here before doing so!

Alia is the same age and therefore is at the same stage as Abby. The hair on the sides I just tuck behind her ears (she has curly hair in back and on the sides). But the hair on the top is straight (!) and doesn't do much. It's just now getting into her eyes.

I'm tempted to get it cut, hoping it will even out some and come in even thicker. I'm so jealous of those kids with thick manes :-) But, I love Alia's curls, so I'm having trouble actually getting to the cutting stage!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

sugarsnappea
10-21-2003, 12:33 PM
I know I am in the minority here, but I just couldn't cut JG's hair. It used to drive MIL and DH nuts during the ragamuffin days. But- they both tell me now that they are so glad I didn't. :) If you are willing to deal with a few months of hair in the eyes and barrettes disappearing, you will be rewarded with a gorgeous mane of one length locks. At almost 2 1/2, JG tucks her hair behind her ears upon waking in the morning- so cute. I still use barrettes but can pull it back into a ponytail too! :)

Rachels
10-22-2003, 07:27 AM
We did a little haircut yesterday. I am going to let her bangs grow out, but we trimmed them so they'd at least be growing out at a similar rate. She had lots of scraggles. We also just took a little off the sides and back, just enough to neaten it up. It looks really cute. Her curls actually show up more now. I was afraid they would be gone. I think it will be easier to grow it out now that it's not seventy five different lengths. Go for it, Michelle!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mom2kandj
10-22-2003, 05:32 PM
DD gets her hair LAYERED to make the curls pop! We would really like her to have longer hair, but anything longer than shoulder length gets straight and stringy not to mention nappy at night, too! :(

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)