PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk trains!!!

doubleL
11-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Well it looks like DS will have a themed Christmas this year with Thomas and Friends. Anybody already done all the research on this and want to give me the short and sweet on what to buy :)

1. I need to know if you have suggestions on the actual train table. I am currently thinking a generic activity table with the storage bins underneath. I love the one in PBK but don't think I can justify the cost. I'm sure there are others that will do, right? I don't think I want the Thomas train table as I want DS to be able to grow with it and perhaps become a Lego table in the future or maybe some girly thing for DD later on????

2. Does anybody know about the Lego transition? Is there a Lego insert you can buy for a generic activity table?

3. Thomas videos??? What should I get? All we have is the Best of James right now. DS has watched it a million times and still loves it. He is usually playing with his trains while "watching" it and stops to look at the screen only if the train can't stop and is about to crash. He LOVES that part!!! Oh and when the bees get out and give James a red nose. Some of the video descriptions talk about a nasty steamroller or the nasty diesel which I think I would want to stay away from but certainly want to hear about whatever your children really like or dislike.

4. What are your children's favorite vehicles?

I think I can handle buying the track and more trains, but if you have any tips, suggestions, experiences that you think will be helpful or just plain fun to share... please do!!

Thanks tons! Sorry so long.

Lou
~DS 5.01
~DD 6.03

moco
11-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Check out the Nilo tables, we love ours. More expensive than some tables but worth it for the versatility. Nilotoys.com

Lego and Nilo make boards that fit on top of most train/activity tables. The boards fit both the big and small legos (two sided).

I'm curious about the videos, will check back to hear from others.

We have generic brand track from target which works very well and use the thomas accessories Sodor Bay Bridge is the real favorite now. Any Thomas train is a hit but my son likes the hippo one-- can't remember the name of it but it's part of a two or three car set. Kidsurplus has lots of thomas and brio stuff.
HTH
M

lukkykatt
11-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Someone on the BB Lounge had asked about tables, and although there were many people who like certain tables (you can do a search there) there were a few people who said that they liked using the floor better because you could change the layout more and have bigger designs and the kids could get in the middle of the track etc. I thought that sounded like pretty good advice. So, I just have all the trains and track in a big rubbermaid container. So far, everyone is happy with that.

The "base" of our set is a generic wooden set that works with Brio and Thomas. Then we have added all kinds of Thomas and Brio pieces. There are some Bob the Builder Brio cars that DS really likes. Also, I found a Curious George Brio set at Tuesday Morning, so that will be one present for Christmas that I am very excited about! It all depends what your son likes as to the best vehicles. If he likes James, I THINK there is a James set that is battery operated. We have that one, I am just trying to remember who the character is. Also DS is really into clocks, so we will probably get the new clock tower for his birthday (just after Christmas).

I don't think you can go wrong, whatever you end up getting!