PDA

View Full Version : Sick Kids and Television

twins r fun
11-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Jacob has an awful cold and the three of us have watched a ton of TV today. Normally I let the boys watch 30-60 minutes/day and aim for the lower end of that (but have to sometimes make exceptions if they're driving me crazy, I get an important phone call, dinner preparations aren't going well etc.) But when one or both is miserable and feverish, we can't go anywhere, and they are too cranky or uncomfotable to play I resort to sitting on the couch and watching TV. Should I feel guilty about that or is being sick a free pass to large amounts of guilt free TV viewing. If it's not, what do you do to get through the day with sick kids?

egoldber
11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, in my house, ONE sick kid = all TV all the time! I can't imagine with two!

Just FYI, we do usually have a couple days of TV withdrawal afterwards.

muskiesusan
11-18-2003, 11:23 PM
We do the same when Nick is sick, and when mommy didn't feel too well the first trimester of this pregnancy (I did feel guilty about that). I know I enjoy be a couch potato when I'm sick!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

momathome
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Nicole -
I don't know of a single mother who has not resorted to tv when things are crazy, whether you are the one not feeling well, your child is sick, or you just need to catch a breather. As long as they are not sitting around checking out Brittney on MTV, a little extra tv viewing is not the end of the world! I can definitely say that I am guilty as charged!
-Lauren

Karenn
11-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Colin's been sick for almost a month and I've watched more Wiggles, Sesame Street and Teletubbies than I ever thought possible! I rationalize it by thinking that when I'm sick, the only thing I want to do is watch TV, so it makes sense for him too. I have to admit though, I did have a few instances when I said to myself, "Should I be feeling guilty about this?" I'm glad to know so many of you spend your sick days with toddlers on the couch too!

brubeck
11-19-2003, 10:52 AM
I've used TV when the kids are sick or I need 'free' time too. I think you just have to make sure that what they watch is acceptable material.

Another idea: read to them! I read a book to Amy and then she will flip through it and try to read it to herself. Coloring also works. They can also listen to some music on CD (even Sesame Street, etc.), or you could turn on the sound to the TV program and leave the picture off (if your 'home theatre' configuration lets you do this) so they can be involved in other things too.

jojo2324
11-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Nicole, I will admit with lots of guilt that TV has become a rather important figure in my household of late. I am so tired, and with DH working such insane hours, I just can't do it most days. And Gannon is rather energetic...So put two and two together and the draw is overwhelming. I am trying to cut down on tube time, and only have kid friendly shows on. But I still feel badly about it. I mean, really, at this point is there anything I have done that isn't a tad bit steeped in guilt? It's impossible to escape!! :)

And like Beth said, I think one kid is license enough, but two sick kiddos...You deserve a medal! :)

twins r fun
11-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Bless you!! We will be watching TV when sick guilt free from now on.

raynjen
11-20-2003, 10:29 PM
We also use videos as a panacea in our house. Since videos are the only thing that will keep my munchkin sitting still I figure its worth it to keep her calm. I've tried coloring, reading, fingerplay, stuffed animals, but she always ends up jumping up and running around (which CAN'T be good when you have a 103 fever) sooo... videos it is!
Good luck!
Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)