PDA

View Full Version : Fits and Screams

blnony
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Well, it seems that after hitting 15 months now, Audrey has decided that she's ready to learn how to throw fits.
When did discipline become a priority? Whenever we say no now, Audrey drops to floor, screaming and crying and flapping around. Its kind of funny if we're at home sometimes,(but I don't laugh or condone the behavior) but she did this in the grocery yesterday and it was pretty embarrasing.
ALso, she doesn't listen to no anymore. Even when we do the "no, you can't touch that because XYZ but (move her) here, you can play with this." Now, she either throws a fit, or puts on a pout face and goes right back to doing it while looking me straight in the face. Its crazy.
I don't want to spank, thats not really an option for us, but how do I get her attention or at least abate the fits? HELP.......:)
Brianna

Karenn
11-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Brianna,
I could have written your post a few weeks ago! In fact, I DID write a very similar post! Do a search for "tantrums" and I bet you'll find it! People gave me a bunch of good advice!

I was beside myself because my normally laid back little guy was doing what Audrey is doing- throwing himself to the floor dramatically, screaming, flapping his arms and rolling around. You're right, it would have been really funny if I hadn't been so concerned that it was an example of what life was going to look like for me until he was two! Fortunately, the tantrums subsided within a few weeks. I can't decide whether it's because we ignored them, or he just recovered from the vacation that we'd been on, but either way, they did work out to be a short term thing.

I hope they pass quickly for Audrey too!

egoldber
11-20-2003, 08:10 PM
As much as possible ignore them. If re-direction doesn't work, then I would ignore them. I know that is HARD especially when in a store. And be prepared to retreat quickly. But honestly, as embarrassing as it is for you, most people pay no attention to other people's kids.

With Sarah, I found that her tantrums are often precipitated by being hungry or tired. So avoiding trying to do too much and carrying snacks helps. But there are those tantrums that are born of "I want my way and I want it NOW". If you make it a practice to ignore these tantrums, they will subside over time. Give her attention during these tantrums and they are guaranteed to escalate.

Good luck! And remember all the toddler moms have been there!

newbelly2002
12-02-2003, 07:52 AM
Oh Brianna and Karen, we're right there with you!

We hit 16 months yesterday and I'd swear a switch inside of Dante was tripped. Whether it's because of a cold or eye teeth teething, I'm not sure. He used to be so easy going. Nothing was a struggle: sleep, eating, playing, discipline. If we said
"no," he would smile and move on to other things.

As of Saturday, that ended. He wants what he wants, will sign please, and if we still say "no," then howls and kicks and sobs. He hasn't thrown himself on the floor. Yet. He used to be great at transitions but no more. If he's playing and I go to pick him up for a diaper change, the screaming and kicking begins. If anyone goes outside without him, it prompts a rage. I can't even leave the room anymore without starting a fit the second he hears the bedroom door shut. And his sleeping? He won't go to bed without an extreme fight.

I'm at wits end about what to do. How do you ignore it? What do you do when he says "please"? We have an 8 hour trans-Atlantic flight ahead of us in under 4 weeks and I'm just *that* side of panicked. Where's my smiling, happy-go-lucky wonder child?

Tell me this too shall pass (soonsoonsoonsoonsoon). Pleeeeeeassssssseeee.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

KUvsOU
12-03-2003, 04:16 PM
I am also there with all of you. It can't really ignore it when he is trying to rip down the blinds or bang on the big screen TV. I say no and he just laughs. Sometimes redirecting him helps, but I know like other kids he does this to get attention. When my DH says no, he stops, rolls the lip and looks like he is going to cry. My DH says I don't say it forceful enough, but I believe I do and I have tried to change my expression and tone of voice to no avail.

I just hope this all stops soon! :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02