PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out the pee thing

jojo2324
11-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I wasn't really sure where to post this...I do not think Gannon is in any way ready to embark on a potty training expedition, but in the last couple of weeks, I think he's kind of discovered his bladder control capabilities.

Basically, any time I change his diaper, he pees. Just a little bit, but it's pretty much every time. Other than a few spray incidents from his newborn days, he NEVER pees when he's being changed. Also, in the tub, he'll pee (standing up) and reach out his hand to touch it. But the stream stops as his hand almost reaches it...But once he takes his hand away, the pee starts again.

So is this a conscious thing? Can his little brain only handle one activity at a time? As in, pee or reach for pee? Like I said, I don't think he's at all ready for potty training. (And I don't know how we'd do if he was...What with a newborn and the probability of him regressing in behavior when she gets here.)

I don't really know what the point of this is, it was just an activity I noticed is becoming fairly regular. Any ideas or thoughts?

nohomama
11-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Since Gannon seems to be becoming more body aware, I'd tell you this is a good time to get a potty. He may not be ready to use it but I think having one around that he can experiment with and talk about is a huge part of the process.

As for your question about Gannon's neurological developement and whether he's old enough to walk and chew gum at the same time (so to speak), I have no earthly idea. I'd just take his ability to start and stop peeing as a sign that something's goin' on in there and as your cue to help him realize it. That potty may sit in the corner of your bathroom for months but believe you me, he'll be aware of its presence and when he's ready, he'll start using it.

On a bit of a different note, I wouldn't necessarily assume that Gannon will regress when Li'l Miss arrives. Certainly it's not uncommon for older children to do this when a new sib is born but it's also not unheard of for the older child to do fine during such a transition. I'm obviously not talking from the personal experience having a second babe but I have plenty of expereince with self fulfilling prophecies. If I've learned anything from becoming a parent it's to take what comes when it comes and don't assume anything.

brubeck
11-30-2003, 01:50 PM
I also agree that it doesn't hurt to get a potty. If he shows interest, great, if not then you can just leave it around for months and months.

As for the regression thing, I delayed Amy's potty training for that reason. But in the long run she didn't really regress. Occasionally she would ask me to feed her and when I was nursing she tried to do it once or twice, but I think that was more an attention grab than serious regression. Certainly now that Andrew is almost 1 Amy really appreciates that she can do so many things he can't. And since she just turned 3 and got those choking hazard toys.... she knows that Andrew isn't allowed to play with the best toys. I suspect that most of the time she's happier being bigger. She still sometimes asks me to feed her at dinner though. :)

muskiesusan
12-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Nick went through that faze a few months ago. It has since passed thankfully, as he would stand, pee, and laugh everytime he was without a diaper!!!

We did use it as an opportunity to talk about what he was doing and introduce the potty chair. He isn't anywhere near trained, but he does like to sit on the chair (but only with his clothes on), cheers for us when we go potty, and whenever we eat, he uses his napkin to "wipe" his behind! So, he is picking up the ideas, just not putting them all together.

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

himom
12-27-2003, 05:42 AM
>As in, pee or reach for pee?

You know, from a philosophical standpoint, this is pretty funny. It would also make a great book title.

Sorry, I have nothing to add but I really liked that line and felt compelled to comment. Ignore me. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

Good luck with Gannon & the little one-to-be!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

kec2003
04-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Great post -- I just searched for toilet training on this board because I am having the SAME issue. DS is 19 mos, too early for potty training, but every night after the tub he wants to sit on the potty, grunt (although produces nothing), get down and streak into the livingroom to pee on the rug. Now, it was *sort* of funny the first time, but now that this seems to have become a nightly occurence this week, I'm not sure what to do.

I've tried telling him that pee goes in the diaper or the potty, but he screams and wants to get out of the bathrrom so he can let it whiz somewhere else in the house, no diaper, just his little naked impish self. I realize I don't want to let him start this habit, but I really don't care if he wants to pee, reach for pee, or both as long as it is in the (easily wiped up) bathroom. I don't want to push him to potty train him, either, but I'm sort of confused what to do next.

Thoughts? TIA!

Katharine
Mummy to Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

Melanie
05-06-2004, 07:29 PM
It couldn't hurt to get a potty and some books. I've heard rare instances of kids potty-learning at that age.

jojo2324
05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, since this, he's pooped in the potty once. Very exciting!!! :) But, only once. He's peed on the floor (and down a heating vent - ugh!!) several times.

Once it gets warmer, I'm stripping him down to his birthday suit and he is gonna have a rip roarin' time!! (He goes absolutely berserk when he's naked.) Yeah, I'm just going to have him naked for a day or two and see what happens there with the potty. I wouldn't mind being down to one in dipes. :)

brubeck
05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Good luck Joanne! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your weather warms up. Just remember that if you do it outfoors he needs sunscreen EVERYWHERE.