PDA

View Full Version : When can you ditch the stroller?

twins r fun
12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
At what age do you think you can reasonably expect kids to be able to walk through a store or even the mall with you? Not necessarily without whining, but without running off, or refusing to move, or stopping to check out the floor tiles every three steps. Particularly without running off! I ask because we've been discussing the timing of a third child quite a bit lately and one of my main concerns is being able to get out of the house with three kids and not having to use a triple stroller. I know I could attach the baby to me for awhile and still have the boys in the stroller, but at some point that would have to end. I also have this small part of me that has to be prepared for a second set of twins in which case a sling, etc wouldn't work-though to be honest, would I really attempt to leave the house with 4 kids!? Any insight would be helpful.

luvbeinmama
12-02-2003, 02:37 AM
I really think the truthful answer is that it really depends on your kids. With that in mind, DS has been walking since 2 yrs 9 mos., when DD took over the stroller. Of course, I have made liberal use of shopping carts in stores, etc., but I think he probably was ready before that, too. Now when we enter a particularly kid-appealing store (like TRU), and I want to get in and out quickly, I tell him at the entrance that if he doesn't move along he goes in the cart! I do still insist on the cart ride in Costco, but since they have those carts with 2 seats, it is pretty easy to get him to sit next to DD. :) HTH!

brubeck
12-02-2003, 07:52 PM
I had this same problem when Andrew was born. He lasted in the Baby Bjorn for 6 months and then got too heavy for my back. At this point I had to go to the double stroller and I stopped taking the kids to the grocery store because I couldn't deal with Amy running around.

A few months later, this changed. Something changed in Amy. Suddenly she started being semi-content walking along. I guess she was about 34 months at that point. I did encourage it along by taking only small trips out at first, and I would give her a container of snacks to occupy her (so she wouldn't be so interested in running away). I also got her interested in 'helping' me push the cart. So now I can actually go to the grocery store and take both kids.

I think it is different with every child, but I would suspect that with most kids it would be after 30 months of age.

pamela mom of 3
12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Greatly depends on the child.

It's not unheard of for kids to ride till age 4 or more.
Actually my eldest rode till 7+yrs, my 5yo just stopped.

Yet i will add at this point my 3yo{in Jan} is terrible..does all of the above you mentioned & the 5yo? depends some days are good others are bad.

The kids are 2.5yrs and 2yrs apart, up to a few months ago i still used the double...it was important for stuff as well as containment ;)

A stroller is a must for my almost 3yo as he is a huge runner...and carrying 3 winter coats is just too much to handle and chase him. :D

It's tough to go with 3 kids at least the type mine are...i enroll help or simply do not bother and wait and go alone on the weekends...sorry not too positive but that is just how it is for me.

GL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3