PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! TWO toddlers!

brubeck
12-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Andrew has actually been walking well for about a month now but the other day it hit me: I have two toddlers! And since Andrew is my last baby (that I plan to have anyhow) I started thinking about what I would never do again:

cuddle the nursing infant at my breast
smell that wonderful BM poop
watch a first smile made just for me
experience the joy of learning enough physics to roll over
enjoy the sitting and crawling milestones and progression

And then I started to think of what I have now:

children who run to me when I hold out my arms
sloppy kisses all over my face
hugs and cuddles under a blanket
joyful cries of 'mama'
creatures who can be fascinated with the everyday moments of life

And I'm not sad anymore. I am thrilled to be a two toddler Mom and I'm enjoying this time when I'm still the center of their lives. I know that all too soon that will be over too.....

Just my thought for the day!

egoldber
12-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Helen, that's beautiful!

trumansmom
12-10-2003, 10:25 PM
** edited for a really embarassing, boderline profane, typo!

Helen, that made me cry! Both because you expressed perfectly how wonderful being the mom of a toddler is, and because you reminded me of all the joys I have to look forward to again. It's perfect timing - I'm in the midst of a "How on earth can I ever love another child as much as I love Truman?" crisis. Thanks for reminding me how easy it is to love these little creatures, and that the miracles do start long before toddlerdom.

I'm so glad you shared this with us.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

mamahill
12-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Oooh, I've been having those same crisis moments. Helen, thanks for sharing! Wow, I can't believe Andrew is walking. Wasn't he just born?! Where has the year gone? Looking forward to the big bash:)!

brubeck
12-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Jeanne I know how you feel. When I was pg with Andrew and found out I was having a boy I was scared. This was because I have a little brother who is 2 years younger than I and we really didn't get along at all. I remember being miserable with him as a kid and I tortured myself thinking that I was doing the same thing to my poor daughter. But you know, Andrew is a totally different person, Amy was nowhere near as jealous as I apparently was when my brother came home, and my heart easily expanded to love them both overwhelmingly. And the benefit of having a younger one is the different stages. Amy is just a ball of energy and runs around all the time, whereas Andrew is still young enough to enjoy a cuddle with Mom for an extended period of time. (such as while watching Survivor last night)

Just know that no matter what you will love the new baby every bit as much as Truman!

And Sarah, I don't know where the year went! I can hardly believe that I'm going to be turning a carseat around and buying whole milk again. As fast as it went with Amy, Andrew's growth seems even faster! I guess that's how some women can have a dozen kids.... each one grows up so quickly they hardly see it! :)

luvbeinmama
12-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Me too, me too!! With DD walking (usually in the opposite direction of DS), life is getting more interesting! I just love this!

brubeck
12-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Well you'll love it until one of them starts pulling out CDs and the other starts playing with the garbage! :) Or as I experienced last night: pulling one away from the gifts under the tree only to come back and find the other with blood all over her face and hands!

(Don't worry, it was just a nosebleed but it had me scared for a couple of seconds!)

lukkykatt
12-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Helen, what a great perspective! I too have been a little sad lately because, like you, we have 2 children and are not planning any more. My younger son is such an active little boy - he can definitely no longer be considered a baby. I was tearing up at the barber shop the other day - he just got his first haircut and looks so grown up now. Which led to my period of sadness...

But I find that I am enjoying this Christmas season so much (except for fearing that the tree is going to come tubling down) because he is so much more aware of everything going on. And seeing your list definitely brought a smile to my face. Thanks!

trumansmom
10-26-2004, 04:54 PM
I was thinking about this post last night, and wanted to read it again. And sure enough, almost a year later, it made me cry again!

Oh, and I can't tell you how much fun I had looking for it! It was amazing reviewing all of our posts over the past year. Our kids have grown and changed so much. It blows me away to realize how much has happened in such a little time!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

brubeck
10-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks Jeanne, I had fun reading it too!

I am blown away again at the changes in a year (well, 11 months) since I started this post. Amy is starting to read and spell, Andrew is talking in sentences now and both of them are still running to me with cries of Mama! Now I get tackled by 2 rambunctious youngsters and my DH says that I am 'buried in children'. :) We are going to Disneyworld in January and I can't wait to experience it with them. Heck, I am looking forward to the holidays because I know how much more they will enjoy things now that they comprehend more.

Of course I do miss the baby stuff too. A friend brought her newborn over the other night and I *almost* wanted another one. Almost. :)

Jeanne
10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Helen,
What a nice (and now affirming) post this is to read! And timely- as I finally settled in my mind that I was done having babies. It took me a good year to really feel that but it hit me last month and I really am done!

I just love the newborn stage so much and savored every moment of it. I couldn't imagine not having that again. But then I went to see a coworkers newborn and I didn't feel that pang for the first time.

I have two toddlers and it's quite the high energy environment. But it's also more fun than I ever thought!