PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a control-freak for a toddler???

momathome
12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Kasey is making me nuts!!! She needs to control both sides of every conversation to an insane degree. She is most stubborn about, of all things, saying "I love you". She tests me several times a day by saying, "Mommy, I love you." Sounds nice, right? Except in her case, if I don't respond exactly with, "I love you, too, Kasey", she flips out on me. If I say, "I love you, baby girl" or Kasey-boo, ANYTHING but "I love you, too, Kasey", she keeps yelling at me, louder and louder, "No, it's `I love you, too, KASEY!!!'. Yesterday, when I picked her up from pre-school and Liza from Kindergarten, I asked both girls about their day. When I started to ask Liza a question, Kasey interupted with , "Mama, LET'S TALK ABOUT ME NOW!!!" I asked her what toys she played with at school and she said the train table. When I asked her what she had for snack, she said, "No, ask me about toys!!!" So, I asked her and she told me about a few more toys and then she said, "Now ask me about snack." Is this nuts? Should I be worried? Liza was never like this. Kasey is stubborn beyond belief! Please tell me there are others out there like her because I am going nuts!
-Lauren

twins r fun
12-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Wow, that sounds absolutely exhausting! Mine are still new talkers working on just their end of a conversation, but I sure hope we don't get to where you are! Maybe it will be a short lived phase? Good luck!

pamela mom of 3
12-15-2003, 07:23 PM
LOL oh yeah i have 3 like that ;)

The almost 3yo{youngest} gives directions...seriously he'll go wrong way daddy and if you don't go his way freaks out!...

I will also warn each kid has their own way of being...my 3 have things in common the way they act wise meaning and others things that are totally new and unique to them and they are not always good things :D

Sorry no advice just btdt }(

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

momathome
12-15-2003, 09:01 PM
REALLY glad to hear that Kasey is not the only one like this. I was telling a friend of mine about this and she mentioned that it sounded like OCD to her. She is great at school - her teacher loves her and is always telling me how well-behaved she is and how well she follows directions, so at least in public she acts likes a semi-normal child. Perhaps that means there is hope for the future???
-Lauren

christic
12-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Oh, don't worry! I've asked these same sorts of questions to more experienced moms and they've said all their kids went through these weird OCD phases. My daughter's not as verbal yet but also insists that things are done just right. We read her a book while she brushes her teeth, and she insists that I hand her the brush but that Daddy reads the book. If Daddy reaches for the brush after the story she won't give it to him! I have to take the brush...it goes on and on from there.

Chris