PDA

View Full Version : Computer games for toddlers

JulieL
12-17-2003, 03:04 PM
I say that someone said they used computer games with their toddlers. My little guy is 21 months old. I would love to find an age appropriate game for him. Do you buy a special mouse? And do you find this makes the computer more of a focal point for you child? My DS LOVES the computer and just can't help but bat the keyboard when he is sitting in my lap. So I wonder if a game would confuse him when it is ok and not ok to play with the computer. What is your take?

lukkykatt
12-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I did not let my older son on the computer until he was 3. But we started him out on Disney's site - they have a game where you tickle Pooh, Piglet and Tigger - that is good for getting the basics down for mouse control. One game that comes to mind that would be good for a young child is Reader Rabbit toddler.

We did not buy a special mouse or keyboard, btw.

brubeck
12-17-2003, 07:41 PM
We let Amy use the computer at a year, but she didn't really get into it (other than banging the keyboard) until 18 months. Now she loves to use it but it is just one of a bunch of the activities she likes to do each day.

We successfully used Reader Rabbit Toddler, and she has now graduated to Reader Rabbit Preschool. We also like the free games on the Sesame Street website.

We did not get a new mouse. In fact we used an old mouse that we didn't mind if she screwed up!

JElaineB
12-29-2003, 11:48 PM
I recently bought some computer software from

http://www.smart-estore.com/baby

The titles are only $2.97 each (includes slow shipping). It was $5.50 extra for the whole order for Priority Mail shipping.

They have a number of age-appropriate titles. I got Reader Rabbit's Playtime for Baby (ages 1-2, comes with both an audio and a computer CD), Reader Rabbit's Toddler (ages 18 months to 3 years), Little Bear Toddler Discovery Adventures (ages 18 months to 3 years) and Muppet Babies: Toyland Train (ages 2-5). They have titles for preschoolers and older kids also.

The only title I have tried so far is Reader Rabbbit's Playtime for baby. It works just by either moving the mouse or pressing any key, so it is easy to use. But when it is running it seems like that is the only time DS isn't banging the keyboard! But it is fun so far and I'm sure he'll pick it up sooner or later.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Hallie_D
12-30-2003, 01:25 PM
We received a toddler keyboard as a holiday gift for our 19 month old son. It came with three CDs and is geared towards kids ages 1-3 (you offer the more advanced CDs as they get older). We set it up for the first time last night. It has big, toddler-friendly buttons and rests right on your regular keyboard. It took about 5 minutes to install, and most of that time was me trying to get the CDs unstuck from the packaging! My MIL bought it from the One Step Ahead site--it is item #8700 (baby keyboard).

The first CD has easy games--one is the underwater game, where every time baby pushes a button, a fish of the same color goes swimming by. Every once in a while, a bird of the same color will fly by instead. DS was facinated by this game and had a great time filling the water with fish by pushing several buttons at once.

HTH,

brigmaman
12-31-2003, 01:59 PM
My ds (17 months old) also loves to play with the keyboard and mouse. We let him touch it, since our computer is an antique anyway. :) Someone a while ago suggested www.kneebouncers.com for toddlers. They don't necessarily have to hit any buttons in particular. Any key will make something happen on a few of the games on that site. We just bought a "my first cd-rom" toddler cd. It is ok so far, but we still like kneebouncers better.
Another favorite is the www.sesamestreet.org site. Elmo's keyboard game responds to any letter your dc presses.

bjiang
01-22-2004, 06:53 PM
I second the sesame street site. My DD also loves the sesamestreet games, and they are FREE ! It seems they add a new game to their site every month or two. Our favorite is also Elmo's keyboard game.

http://www.sesamestreet.com

-- Bo

August Mom
02-17-2004, 03:47 AM
Fisher Price's site has lots of games, many of which can be played by pressing almost any key, and then higher levels that require some mouse control. http://www.fisher-price.com/us/playtime/

sweetbasil
02-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Kellen looooves www.playhousedisney.com and can completely navigate the mouse himself- is that a good thing, I often wonder?! He's just started getting the hang of it over the past few months or so, though- not until he was three.

HTH,