PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's child obsessed with his/her genitals?

MelissaTC
01-05-2004, 11:04 AM
My son loves to hit himself and touch himself when I change his diaper. When he walks to the bath, he likes to check himself out. He pulls it also. I am assuming this is normal? I know he is probably discovering his body. Right??

brubeck
01-05-2004, 11:32 AM
LOL, my daughter didn't discover herself until about 2 1/2 but my son found his 'bits and pieces' at 6 months! Ever since every diaper change it's a big grab down there before I can cover it up, and bathtime is serious wiener play!

I do think it's a gender thing, even if it's only that girls have less there to discover. IMHO it's perfectly normal and as long as he realizes that it's not acceptable to do it in front of other people he's okay.

egoldber
01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
LOL! Sarah didn't discover her genitals until recently, but she seems to be making up for lost time. She is now shoving her hands down her diaper all the time. And she loves to use her favorite new word "tushie", every chance she gets!

brigmaman
01-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Lol, Brig has just started to check himself out. He will reach his hand down when he is being changed. He is really gentle, though...as if something might bite him! When he is standing up and naked, like right before he goes into the bath, he will try to push his belly in (quite a feat) to see what's happening down there. It's like a dog chasing his tail. He nearly falls over trying to sneak-a-peek!

jojo2324
01-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Oh yes!! Gannon has been man-handling himself for many months now. Literally, during naked time, he runs around hunched over, pulling away. It's like a lifeline or something! And his hands are always down his pants, and diaper changes...Forget it!! It's such a struggle during the poopy dipes.

Actually, a few months ago, I thought he ripped himself. Sounds gross, but I guess it was a result of our mishandling his circumcision. I wasn't aware that after a circ., the skin needed to be separated or it would adhere to itself in the wrong place. Anyway, that's what happened...He was pulling on it so much that it separated! It was very red and DH couldn't even look at it without wanting to pass out. The ped said it was normal, but that it usually doesn't happen until they're about 4-5. Gannon's just an overachiever. :) (His penis is fine now.)

luvbeinmama
01-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Oh yes, and at 4 DS is STILL playing with himself. Sometimes he just sits there playing with it until it gets hard. LOL!

Melanie
01-06-2004, 07:19 PM
*sigh* Yes. Started months ago... Just started getting interested in the "tushie" parts.

I try not to make a big deal of it so it doesn't make more interest, but he has yet to try to play while his diaper is on, that's not going to fly with me. I was raised way too prude to let him play in public. LOL.

He also checks himself out on the way to the bath...that's funny to watch.

He has a friend who was also sticking his hand in his diaper and it grossed me out b/c I know he is one of those that is not changed everytime he pees. I would try to distract Ds so he didn't notice and pick that behavior up, too.

Ds new fun thing is to play peek-a-boo with it when he's being changed. *eyeroll* MALES!

raynjen
01-07-2004, 09:58 PM
My little girl has been "playing" with herself for the last 6 months. I sometimes get concerned about it... she can't do herself "damage" can she? We talk about "private spaces in private places" but I don't want to inhibit her for later on. I also try to confine it to bath time when I at least can reassure myself that she is clean.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

jojo2324
01-08-2004, 12:26 AM
He found his tush tonight!! What do you do? I mean, FOUND it, if you catch my drift. Luckily, he was getting his bath, so I was right there with warm soapy water, but...ick.

lukkykatt
01-08-2004, 11:42 PM
True story: DS discovered his penis and the remote on the same day. I guess he is all male! His new thing is that he grabs hold of it during his bath and doesn't let go!