PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Temperament Vent

Melanie
01-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Okay. My guy is SO sweet and not like the stereotypical non-parent idea of a toddler, BUT UGH!

I've always heard that the two-choice thing was good to help them feel like they have some control over their life, but still accomplish what you want. This SO does not work with Ds. He wants BOTH! He was always fine with not having a choice about most things, I should have left well enough alone. We're pretty accommodating and try not to force him into things unnecessarily, but these choices will be opposites! An example might be if we ask him which car he wants to ride in, he will answer positively "Daddy Car!" okay, fine. Then he'll say "Mommy Car!" This will go on. So we'll just pick one, he'll be hysterical at that point, so we'll even go to the other one, and he's equally hysterical. Now, I don't mean the fake it's-fun-to-be-in-control cry, but really crocodile tears.

NOW it's moving on to clothing. At first it was just some knit soaker pants I got for him. I thought maybe they were itchy. I'd revisit him wearing them every few days and he would still refuse to wear them. Okay, fine. He's pretty verbal, so I will try to get him to tell me why he doesn't like things, but often he'll just say "no like, no like." I even get Dh to pretend he likes something but that still won't work.

*sigh*

My little baby is becoming a little person!

JulieL
01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
>
>>
>My little baby is becoming a little person!

I know the feeling!!! It's a shocker isn't it!

Hope things get better. I've done the pick one deal and well it's been 50/50 for us. And this too will pass!