PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a speech therapist?

redhookmom
01-22-2004, 01:13 AM
My DS was recently diagnosed with Oral Myofnctional Disorder. We found this out when getting him tested for some fine motor skill issues through the local school district. While he did qualify to have a OT come to our house to work on find motor skills the OMD did not qualify him for speech services because it would not hinder him next year in kindergarten. So I am wondering how much it will cost to bring him to a speech therapist on our own? Any input would be appreciated.

egoldber
01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
My DD was diangosed with mild hypotonia and oral motor delays at 18 months. We first received services through the federal IDEA program and recently switched to a program through the local school disctrict.

With the first program, while the assessments were free, the services were on a sliding fee scale. We had to pay all of DD's expensives out of pocket. Her speech therapy visits with a certified SLP were $150 an hour. We recently switched to the school based program, because those services are free.

But I am wondering why he didn't qualify for speech services? I know with the federal program they have to be something like 30% delayed in order to qualify. Is there an appeals process you can go through to see if you can get hime services?

Also, there are a few SLPs on the board, but they mainly post on the Baby board. If you search in the Baby Bargains Lounge under "expressive speece", "speech delay" or language delay" you should find a few threads. Good luck!