PDA

View Full Version : When I say NO he laughes - argh, not funny!!!

JulieL
01-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Ok my DS is 22 months old and I am really trying to be dilligent about disciplining him. Ok, but it doesn't seem to work. DH and I really would rather not spank so we have tried other things. Although neither of us thinks spanking is wrong. Right now I use the restraint method or hug hold method. If he acts up, such as pull on the blinds, again, for the 100th time (LONG SIGH) or wants something he can't have and hits me (why doesn't he hit DH,ever???? LONGER SIGH) and so on. If either DH or I say no he usually laughs and if I hold his hands to restrain him he laughs. I hold him until he is upset and he often says OK (- as if he got the point! NOT!). This usually lasts about 30 seconds or so, just enough until I see that he is upset not laughing. So is this just plain ineffective and should I just stop it? I mean it's not like I can take toys away or something like that cause he would have no clue why I was doing it, ANOTHER SIGH... So is there a good way to discipline someone in this age bracet that is effective??? What has worked for you.

brubeck
01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
When one of my kids is doing something they shouldn't be doing I take them away from the area. For example if my 13 month old son is trying to play with the garbage I tell him, "We do NOT play with the garbage!" and steer him away from the can to the other side of the room where there are toys. This method worked well for both of our kids.

If my 3 year old daughter is doing something wrong (and refuses to stop when I ask) I physically pick her up and move her away from it. She is usually quite upset by the indignity of having to be physically dragged away. Sometimes if this isn't enough I put her in a locked area (as in our play corral or in her room behind a gate) and if she REALLY needs to learn a lesson I strap her into a booster chair. She hates being confined (as does your son) and she DEFINITELY links it to the thing she was doing wrong.

Next time your son does something like this take his hands and tell him firmly that it's not the right thing to do (say NO, tell him 'we do NOT do this', 'this is NOT for you', 'we do NOT play with that', etc.). Then physically move him away (guide him to walk away, pick him up if you have to) and put him on the other side of the room (or in a different room) next to something he CAN play with. If he keeps going back and doing the wrong thing then try strapping him in the high chair. Kids at 22 months can understand a lot, even if they don't speak a lot. If you explain it clearly every time he will eventually realize that if you can't trust him to wander the house alone he will get locked down.

Anyhow, this is what worked for me. HTH!

luvbeinmama
01-24-2004, 01:39 AM
Helen - as I was reading your post, I realized I do the same thing for DS when we are out... If he's good in the store he can walk, if not, he goes in the cart/stroller and gets strapped in (he hates that!). It works great! He DOES get warnings before getting strapped in, but I'm waiting less now. Usually just the thought of getting strapped in for the ride calms him down.