PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly sweet or incredibly sad?

trumansmom
02-03-2004, 05:24 PM
I don't know what to think! This weekend DH and I went away for a "last weekend" before I got too darn pregnant for us to have any fun. It was the first time Truman was ever left with anyone overnight. His godmother and cousin spent the weekend at our house, and by all accounts, they had a blast.

Anyway, after we got home, Truman was really, really clingy. No surprise, right? After a couple of hours back, he came and took me by the hand and led me around the house. Everytime we came to a family picture he would stop and point and say, "Mommy, Daddy AND Tooman." I think he just wanted to make sure I remembered HE was a part of the family, too. And now, I just went down to the living room, and discovered all the pictures on our picture shelf are face down - EXCEPT pictures with all three of us! Poor little guy! I truly can't decide if we've scarred him for life or what!

Parenting is sooo darn complicated! What on earth is he going to do when his little sister comes home?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

brubeck
02-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Jeanne do NOT feel guilty! All kids think that they are the center of the universe and no matter what age the first time you leave them they will be devastated. When we left Amy overnight the first time she was only 18 months and when we got back she was just super clingy. But then she probably didn't have the skills to communicate like Truman is doing.

On the other hand, when I left her at preschool last December she let everyone know in no uncertain terms that she wanted me back. But it turns out her problem was that she didn't realize that I would come back for her. Perhaps that's Truman's issue too: you were gone and he didn't know if you were ever coming back. In that case you need to talk to him and constantly reassure him that you will always be back. Eventually he will get it (although you don't have to test that anytime soon! :) )

The new baby is likely another issue altogether. I know from personal experience it's hard to explain to a kid this age that a baby is coming, but what I did with Amy was get her used to the idea of babies. We looked at pictures of them in magazines and books and I pointed out that she was a big girl and could do things that babies couldn't, etc. So she at least understood what a baby was. Also those Baby Bear gets a sister episodes on Sesame Street are really good (you're probably sick of them by now) but I really wish they had been available when I was pg. Lastly I tried to adjust Amy's life as much as possible BEFORE the baby came so that there would be as littls adjustment as possible after. This included moving the changing table into the new baby's room, setting up the crib with bedding, transferring Amy to a new carseat (so the baby could have the old one), getting her out of the high chair, hiding all the baby toys (so they would be 'new' to her in a few months), etc.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. They might be muddled because I am hungry. I'm going to eat now! Maybe I'll make more sense later. :)

jojo2324
02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Oh Jeanne!! I'm laughing and sobbing at the same time...It's so amazing, what goes through our little ones' minds. The idea of him going through and flipping all of the pictures...It really is adorable. :)

He will adjust to his little sister. There are many big brothers in the world. I don't really know how to help ease the adjustment, though. We started talking about "baby" a few months before her arrival. Gannon got a baby doll for Christmas, and he gave her kisses. But he is younger than Truman, and has a limited vocabulary. He's done okay so far, but then yesterday he yanked her ear, poked her eye and kicked her. Not ideal, but still okay. And he does love to give her kisses.

Hang in there, and know that at the very least you have a great story to tell down the road! :)

sweetbasil
02-06-2004, 05:30 PM
What a little sweetie, Jeanne. He's going to be a great big brother- it'll be so neat to watch their sweet little relationship develop. Until then, enjoy your last few months with just your little guy!

Oh, and way to go, going on a trip like that. It's hard to get away sometimes, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourselves.

Hang in there,

toomanystrollers
02-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Just get ready :) because Tess wanted to know when her brother was going back to the hospital.