PDA

View Full Version : 2 yr olds and naps poll

christic
02-08-2004, 12:44 PM
My daughter will turn 2 next month and is in the process of revamping her sleep schedule it seems. She's sleeping later finally but is also fighting her naps like crazy. Lately she seems to be happier with a very late afternoon nap, 3-6 was yesterday's and I even had to wake her up. But she woke up in a fantastic mood and went to bed for the night without trouble about an hour later than her normal bedtime.

I've been reading old posts so realize that nap adjustments are pretty common at this age, but I'm really curious to hear how it all ends up for people. I guess I figured the 1pm nap was sort of universal (biologically?). Anyway, I'm very curious to hear if there are late afternoon nappers out there...or how anyone's nap problems ended up resolving themselves.

Thanks!

Chris

brubeck
02-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Amy regularly napped for 2-4 hours (depended on the day and how much she'd slept the night before) at about 3 pm for almost a year. Then at 33 months she started phasing out her nap and by 35 months she was nap-free.

egoldber
02-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, Sarah usually naps from about 1:30 - 3:00. But her naptime is pretty flexible, and she can go down anywhere between 1 and 3 and sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Although yesterday she slept for 3 hours, but that has become pretty rare for us lately.

But right when she first turned two we went through a TERRIBLE period where she was only taking about a 45-50 minute nap. That lasted about a month and then went away as mysteriously as it came!

HTH,

muskiesusan
02-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Nick goes down for a nap between 12:30-1 and it usually lasts about 2 hours, although this week it has been stretching to 2.3-3 hours (now that I wrote that I am sure it will cease).

He didn't start taking naps of any lenght until right before he turned two. Luckily, he just decided one day he need longer naps and started taking them!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

mary b
02-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Since about 18 months when she went down to one nap, Noelle is pretty consistent, going down for a nap easily between 1:30-2 and she will sleep between 2-3 hours. She is now 2 1/2 and I am NOT ready for naptime to be over so hopefully this will continue for awhile!!!

Mary
Mom to Noelle and Lindsey!

pamela mom of 3
02-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Well my son stopped napping at one altogether.

So basically my advice would be just follow your childs lead as long as she isn't up all night etc. I'd go with the flow ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/fk/bunny.gif

HGraceMom
02-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Until last week, our sleep schedule was fantastic - dd 29 nos. slept from 7pm to 7am, nap from 12:30 - 3:00

Last week we went through a TERRIBLE period of no naps. Not only was it bad for her, it was exhausting for me - As you all know, a toddler who needs a nap but won't take one is a VERY crabby little girl!

Come to find out, she was just trying to adjust her sleep times later... Once we pushed bedtime to 8:15, she slept until 7:30, and napped from 1:30 - 4:00 or so.

After one week of no naps, I hope she's like my mom says we were - I'd come home from kindergarten & take a nap along with my little sister...

lmintzer
02-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Jack (33 months) was a problem sleeper for a long time and wins the "most improved" award. He sleeps from 7:30 p.m. until 6:30 a.m. and naps at 12:30 p.m. for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. Average is probably an hour and 15.

Hmm. I don't know what to say about the late nap. I always figured it wasn't great to let a child sleep past 5, since they need at least 2-3 hours of awake time before going down for the night. Maybe your daughter's bedtime is later than I'm guessing so she has that awake time even with a late nap? You could try to shift the nap gradually (15-20 minutes/day) a little earlier--maybe with the end goal of 2 or 2:30.

But, if she's happy and sleeping well at night, then maybe you don't want to mess with it.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

christic
02-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the posts! I can't say things have gotten much better yet--she's asleep now but skipped her nap entirely yesterday--but feeling more confident that she'll work this all out on her own. Part of the problem seems to be that it's getting harder for her to wind down on her own. We've never needed any sort of pre-nap routine except for a quiet diaper change with the shades pulled but I think it's time for that to change. Curious what other people are doing--her nightime routine is just toothbrushing and a story.

It does seem that her nap time has become more flexible which is great since I've spent so many months feeling like Cinderella--rushing home before we all turn into pumpkins at 1pm.

Thanks again!