PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Rivalry - I'm going to get the duck tape out soon

toomanystrollers
02-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Somedays Tess & Shea are absolute angels but on MOST - they bicker from sunrise to sunset. Lets just say, it's been a LONGGGGGGG Winter.

I'm trying to get through "Siblings Without Rivalry" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish, but in the heat of the moment, all their wise strategies go right out the roof.

So who else can relate? Sigh...

redhookmom
02-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Oh my. I have had a few glimpse into the future recently and it's not good. My 1 year old does not have any words so there is no bikering just BITING!

Should I get the book now? What ages is it directed at? Just when you think you haveit all figured out it changes...

brubeck
02-18-2004, 01:15 PM
I can totally relate! Amy is constantly pushing Andrew away (which usually makes him fall down), taking away any toy he has and demanding attention whenever I try to give him a hug. However Andrew is now starting to get his own back. He will pick up a toy and run away from her with a smile of glee and the other day I caught him stealing Amy's Teddy Grahams right out of her bowl!

I'm just not sure how all this is going to work out in the long run.......

egoldber
02-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Have you read "1-2-3 Magic"? I was reading it this week. There was stuff in there about sibling rivalry, but I'm afraid I skipped over it!

toomanystrollers
02-18-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm laughing at my "duck" typo - but they are driving me quackers :)

Beth,
I need to check that book out too. I'll read anything for some much needed guidance.

Jessica,
"Siblings" seems to be geared towards preschool age and up. I really like the book - full of real life examples and how to manage them, but in the heat of the moment, I easily forget everything I've read.